Hole in Crank Case

crwjwa

Casings generally have these casting holes in all sorts of places..because spinning parts create a certain amount of wind which if completely sealed would cause crankcase pressure.plus the oil can pass all around the vital bits...nevertheless check your sump plug for any excess metal just in case..look at pictures of the same engine on googlebox fer reassurance

Sorry Bilko but you are wrong on this one. That is absolutely stock, and most cases of that era are quite "rough" like that. I can see how you may think it is damage, but I can assure you it is nothing to be concerned about.

Footnote: I have done many many GG engine rebuilds over the last couple of decades, and seen new cases straight from Spain, as I am Gasser importer in Australia. So I have seen enough to know.

Edited by arnoux
  • Like 1

Thanks again Arnoux

After many hours searching the net I've found several pic's and videos which show similar holes.

As stated above, some seem more "tidier" than others (mine), but definitely there is a hole there.

Great relief obviously .....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There's another hole next to the idler gear. A friend's idler gear needle bearing disintegrated for some reason and shrapnel went through the holes and damaged the gears. I was thinking on mine to JB Weld aluminum screens on the holes in case it happens to me. Maybe a screen barrier around the primary gear since it damaged that also and the part is not available.