Tyres?

C.Frost

Well - I bought a set of Michelin X lite comp. I read up a lot and whilst there are some members who have highlighted other choices for muddy conditions that might be a bit cheaper I decided that as there was only a small difference in cost between the top choices, I would try my luck. I was running some older Michelins before which had lost their edges and gone a bit hard, so perhaps any tyre would be a big improvement! but I have to say these have transformed the bike. I can get great grip on all kinds of slippy ground - and lots of confidence on cambers which I didn't feel before. I am only a basic clubman level so no rock climbing for me, but they do everything really well as far as I can tell. 

• Like 1

broadly speaking there are 4 "tiers" of tyres

a) michelin x light - most expensive because its lighter

b) michelin x11 / dunlop D803GP / IRC - dunlop is great on rocks, unsellable in the south, IRC is great on mud, X11 is most popular and a great alrounder

c) pirelli mt43 - good for lots of road work, used to have a reputation for being good on frozen soil, not so good off road

d) the cheap ones - vee rubber / mitas - cheap and chearfull, not particualry good for competive trials, but not terrible either. cheng shing list a trials pattern but i've not seen one (so can't say).

NB1 - Bridgestone used to make a "trailwing" or something (discontined about 10+ years ago).

NB2 - Maxxis make a "trailmaxx" for the KTM freeride (see other thread), its not a "legal" trials tyre (it's block spacing dosen't comply) but you might get away with it if only practicing, etc

• Like 1