Section Markers

vinnied

My club uses cut down electric fence posts made of plastic with a spike on the bottom.  I have ridden other trials with flags on wires which are survey markers and others that use fully plastic pegs.  I think the club with the full plastic pegs had a mould made up and have a batch made up as an when they need them.

Ours uses the wire ones with soft plastic flag on top. I guess they need to withstand being run over (just bend wire straight). Also when several routes share the same gate you can plant a bunch of flags in the same spot quite easily.

Edited by markparrish
wrong word

We use nursery/gardener plant label markers. Come in all colors and can are the same color front and back so when you walk down a section it is still the correct color  scheme - not just all whites if you only have the front painted. Not the cheapest option but very easy and last quite a few years  

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we use either coloured curtain sider material (old skool banner material) or printed banner material to make 4"/100mm squares that are stapled to wooden sticks or the numerious trees we have. if done right it survies being riden over, etc - printed banner is the wrong colour on the back. one local club have gone further and printed them as trianlges to make the gates more obvious/clear.

we used to use some sort of HIPS (a plastic) but they needed armoured piercing staples and had a tendency to ping off when hit

way back in the day we used card/paper, i know "Stacey's and Sons" still sell this, and some club use it - it tears really easy, crap in the wet, etc

many clubs have gone down the easisest and cheapest route (as mentioned above) - surveryors flags (one company is "york survey") - they are very flimsey, not universally loved, but very cheap and off the shelf (ie no work!). ideally they would be of a much thicker gauge wire and a more substantial flag material but i'm not aware of anyone selling this off the shelf.

some clubs have still got "pig tails", really got thick wire that allows you to insert card into - don't think there is anyone selling predone pig tails (in metal) - when this has come up before other clubs mentioned buying wire and bending around rigs. I've seen Witley MCC use plastic one (no idea where from).