O/X Ring or standard chain?

steve0

As above whats the thoughts for the 260? Jjust come out of a few years in Enduro and the DiD X Ring is a faultless chain, as good as it gets IMHO.

Image.jpg

Requires very little maintenance and with the two split links as supplied by Endurotyres it will last at least a year with little noticeable wear or stretch.

Edited by steve0

You might want to check to see if it will fit in the chain tensioner. On my Gas Gas, an o ring chain would rub against the case at the countershaft but on my 4RT there is enough space. I'd like to try a narrow x ring when I need a new chain. Narrower the better. They say x ring has less friction.

• Like 1

Yup fit the narrow x ring chain. You will likely still have the same chain many years later. 

Back in the day I adjusted my ORing chain on the first day on SSDT and that was it. Done. Different story for the standard chain guys!

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, nzralphy said:

Yup fit the narrow x ring chain. You will likely still have the same chain many years later. 

Back in the day I adjusted my ORing chain on the first day on SSDT and that was it. Done. Different story for the standard chain guys!

Standard chain, no problems for me "back in the day" 

@nzralphy

Used renolds or regina with no problems, tell us more ??

Edited by b40rt

No doubt the oring chain is a better chain. Install it and push it for 100 meters. That chain is robbing you of power, every time you take off. I will not go into excess weight too, but that heavy chain puts a strain on the transmission. Never put that thing on a Gas Gas.

18 hours ago, steve0 said:

As above whats the thoughts for the 260? Jjust come out of a few years in Enduro and the DiD X Ring is a faultless chain, as good as it gets IMHO.

Image.jpg

Some chain manufacturers make "Trials Specific" chains such as Regina, they are light and strong and are neither 'X' or 'O' ring and are std fitment on bikes like GG. I personally find the Regina Trials chain very good and fit them to my old twin shocks also.

Edited by fourex

Standard chains are good, if you have to use half links ISIS or Regina should be considered as these have half links.

The ISIS half links due fit in my experience also to DID 520 ERT2 chains which I chooses mostly due to their very good performance in tensile strenght (and so little wear) but still are OK in weight, (under 6 pounds). There is just one chain better in tensile strength which then again is 7 pounds or 15% heavier. For a Chart of tensile strength see here: http://www.didchain.com/chainSpecs.html

I would NOT use any kond of O or X ring for dirt bikes if you are using them also in weat, muddy and clayish enviroment, the fine sand will eat up the rubber rings in only some hours.

* half links:
Very important if you have even numbers of sprockets front an rear, especially front!

I have run that chain on a Rev3 and the narrow RK on a Sherco and Evo.  The RK was slightly narrower, about 0.015".  Sherco had plenty of room.  The Rev3 and Evo were quite tight and I had to run the master link backwards for extra brake pedal clearance.  They basically last forever, require little lubrication and don't need regular adjustment.  Since he chain does not wear, sprockets seem to last forever also.  They will saw their own clearance in the chain guide but V Mar makes a wider one specifically for O ring chains.    

http://www.vmar.com/chain-guide.html

Edited by mcman56
RKO to RK
  • Like 1

We will be riding Wern Ddu and Cowmn and Shatterford but aim to continue to do our usual excellent green-lanes we have around here when we get the in-fill seats so i think the X-Ring is a goer.

Anyone know if the VMAR chain block is available in UK? I may well get a new S3 one and file it out to suit if not.

Thanks all for the reply's and sharing the knowledge.

The VT2 chain was specifically designed around the Honda motorcycles that couldn't fit a wider O-ring chain.  So the VT2 is the exact same width as a non sealed chain. 

I use the same one on all of my bikes including my 300rr.  It has less than the average rolling resistance for a sealed chain and is the kind of chain that you adjust once in the lifetime of the chain and just never think about it again. 

I've felt multiple non sealed chains that have more rolling resistance than the VT2. 

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1