Montesa 4rt Cutting Out

54tphill

I love my new 4rt but have recently had an issue and wanted to share my experience to hopefully save somebody else time and money. 

My bike started cutting out on me at a trial, sometimes I was riding between sections in 3rd and 4ty gear, sometimes I was in sections in 1st and 2nd gear, it sometimes would kick straight back up and sometimes it would take 10 kicks to get it going again. 

I rang the dealer “inch perfect trials” and explained the problem, it sounded to them as though it was the bank sensor so John talked me through how to by pass it. 

We hoped that sorted it but after going out to practice I soon realised it wasn’t that. 

I spoke again to the guys at inch perfect and they recommended to bring the bike back to them as the bike is covered under warranty. 

Simon,Matt and John were great. I arrived and they took my bike into the work shop, they offered me another bike to go out on for a few hours. It’s a pretty awesome location to say the least. So I went off for a ride on another 4rt leaving the bike with John and his apprentice. 

It was an intermittent fault which made it more difficult to diagnose. They started my bike initially and all seemed well but after 10minutes it started cutting out again, 

they had noticed a scrape on the left side of the bike, the black plastic thing, I think that’s the ignition pack. They started by changing that, then the ECU then the throttle body ect ect. But it still cut out, in the end they came back to the black plastic thing that I unknowing must have damaged, the bracket was bent back slightly

?behind that is the thermostat 

I slight impact on the plastic black ignition pack part has knocked it back a bit then causing damage to the thermostat ....

I have lightly dropped the bike a few times to be fair, but if you don’t drop your bike occasionally then your obviously are not trying hard enough ? 

The good news, bike fixed!

bad news, not covered under warranty 

& I had to pay for the thermostat and Labor ??‍♂️

The bottom line is, they found the fault and fixed it, they gave a great service and I enjoyed my self. 

Thankyou Inch Perfect Trials

cheers John and the young dude who fixed it

cheers Matt and Simon for a great service 

050E4420-A65E-4B27-9430-FA9B61430A71.jpeg

244559B8-1716-4E64-93DC-63ECB661D5A7.jpeg

Edited by 54tphill
Added a bit more information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, steve0 said:

So the thermostat must be protecting against overheat as well as bringing in the fan.

On the 4RT, the thermostat isn't a temperature switch, it's a temperature sensor. It's not connected directly to the fan relay. It's connected to the ECU, which uses the coolant temperature data (continuously variable resistance of sensor) along with other sensor input to adjust the fuel injection and ignition timing, as well as tell the fan relay when start the fan. If the sensor is disconnected or circuit is otherwise open, the ECU will put the FI / ignition into a limp mode.

• Like 2

Right......

update , the bike is doing it again, this is turning out to be a nightmare , 

??‍♂️

Another Day ruined , Inch Perfect Trials is closed until Tuesday I Think. 

Bare in mind I have already traveled 3hours each way to IPT to be told it was my fault , given a bill of £200, plus Fuel, days wage not going to work. 

Totally blown away by this. 

You have a rather pronounced hit on that coil, if it’s damaging it could cut out when heated up.  I had a BMW R1100S that had a coil that would cut out when hot and replacement fixed it.

jut a thought... and best of luck.

You had a bill of £200 which was cheap considering the hours I spent trying to diagnose the fault. The diagnostic tool wouldn't even read the bike because of the damage.

We swapped the ht coil, throttle body, condenser and b/a sensor from my brand new bike that had never turned a wheel let alone been started, testing and reassembling after each component change is very time consuming. Swapping all those from 1 brand new bike to another is no simple job, plus you were given another bike to ride for the day while you waited.... 

Everytime the fan kicked in or turned off the bike would cut out. After much head scratching, I noticed the thermostat was very bent and the radiator had creased from the hit to the ht coil. I swapped the thermostat from my bike and the bike worked as normal. Your parts were then reassembled on the bike and you test rode it, and the diagnostic tool would communicate with the bike.

Draw your own conclusions from this.

Please, bring the bike back again

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jrsunt said:

You had a bill of £200 which was cheap considering the hours I spent trying to diagnose the fault. The diagnostic tool wouldn't even read the bike because of the damage.

We swapped the ht coil, throttle body, condenser and b/a sensor from my brand new bike that had never turned a wheel let alone been started, testing and reassembling after each component change is very time consuming. Swapping all those from 1 brand new bike to another is no simple job, plus you were given another bike to ride for the day while you waited.... 

Everytime the fan kicked in or turned off the bike would cut out. After much head scratching, I noticed the thermostat was very bent and the radiator had creased from the hit to the ht coil. I swapped the thermostat from my bike and the bike worked as normal. Your parts were then reassembled on the bike and you test rode it, and the diagnostic tool would communicate with the bike.

Draw your own conclusions from this.

Please, bring the bike back again

Can't say fairer than that, good service

• Like 1

You sound as frustrated as me John, I’m sure you want to get to the bottom of this as much I do. 

The service has been good it’s just annoying your so far from me and the bike  has to have a awkward intermittent issue. 

i have spoken to Simon this morning, hopefully we’ll get this bike up to you as soon as possible. 

Cheers Phill

• 4 months later...

We did, (I hope his bike is still going)!! It turned out that the damage to the thermostat had spiked the electrical system and damaged one of the other electrical components, (can't remember which one) if you look at the wiring diagram, something is directly linked to the temperature switch. Probably fan relay, rectifier or the condenser. If I remember I'll have a look at work

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 2