Clutch lever free play

Lefebvre

I think you might be confusing free play with lever travel. Free play is measured with the lever at rest. It’s the free movement before you start to push the mc plunger in. You can then adjust how the lever feels in its arc of travel. Then readjust free play if required. 

On bikes with worn lever pivots this can be more tricky to get right. Treat older/worn bikes to new levers. It feels much nicer, less vibes, easy to adjust. Keep the old levers as spares. 

Edited by pindie
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, pindie said:

I think you might be confusing free play with lever travel. Free play is measured with the lever at rest. It’s the free movement before you start to push the mc plunger in. You can then adjust how the lever feels in its arc of travel. Then readjust free play if required. 

On bikes with worn lever pivots this can be more tricky to get right. Treat older/worn bikes to new levers. It feels much nicer, less vibes, easy to adjust. Keep the old levers as spares. 

Thanks a lot for the clarification as I was not understanding the free play as I should have before I read your post. I did readjust the free play with a little over 1 mm of free play before the plunger engage. I guess you can set the lever tight to the bar or 3/4" away from it as long as you readjust this free play of the plunger as you explain. Again, thanks a lot.