2019 Beta 300 Evo kickstarter issue

Stephevo

Hi everyone! Sorry for long post, I am french from Ottawa, lol!

New to here as I just  purchased as mentionned in title in addition to a 125 for my kid and and a 200 for the wife. We only do moto. No life otherwise, lol.

It's still winter up here when I picked the bikes up. So only started and went through gears in snow covered lot. I didn't realized about the kickstarter at that time as I was too excited and that it started first shot. Coming off GG and Montesa.

Got home and doing the regrease/pack and tork all main bolts. Did the 125 no issues. Got to my 300 and kickstarter seems to jam at right before it's resting position. I have to nuge it back to it's most forward resting position. 

Also took cover off to see anything obvious but no avail. Only thing I see is the "position/retainer bolt" above the kickstart assembly (see pic) seems to be putting a lot of friction on the last part of the ignition sleeve/stopper tab that impeeds a full easy return. I also attach a GIF as to the "nuging" into most forward resting spot.

And yes I do know that I have a warranty but the store is 6 hrs away and they seem to be busy!??

Any ideas?

Tx for your time.

Steph an family!

20190410_200300_002-2_1.gif

20190410_171238.jpg

Edited by Stephevo

The issue was present before all the guards added. The kickstarter is about 1.5 inches away from the cover. 

I need to push it back into it's original most forward position until it reaches its stop lip. And nothing to do with the bringing inwards in stow away position. 

Seems like normal function by watching your clip there. The kickstart ratchet gear has a small ramp on it that slides in behind a metal tab and the casting is usually not very smooth and your bike is brand new. Try let your kick lever snap back on its own with the spring loaded...will loosen up with some use. :)

The shift lever was not set for height yet but tx for noticing, just for a quick look/fit.

One notch cc or cl, the kickstart is still same. I have to nuge it forward after it's self return. 

I will be taking clutch/basket off soon. Waiting on lock washer for basket to arrive.

Almost like if there was an extra washer that put too much pressure on the ignition sleeve.

Pauls320:

Never had a Beta, was spoiled with Montesa mostly, lol. 

I did let it snap quite a few times back from bottom stroke, approx 20 x. Still no change.

I am not familiar with the bolt above it in the casing. Does this hold the assembly in place? As I am looking at this bolt, this is where the ratchet gear/ramp/stop seems to "nuge"onto it. 

I might be answering my own questions but y'all advise is very much appreciated.

And Pauls320 it might be needed to just "break in"? 

I am still riding it this weekend though!! 

Had loads of Betas & never had any bother with kickers of gear levers. Carbon fibre pipe cover a complete waste of time unless you have a 4 stroke, in which case they are essential to stop you burning holes in your pants  Kickstarter supposed to sit so it folds into the recess on the pipe. I think that's what BETA intended, but have seen plenty of kickers in the wrong  location. Gear lever main section wants to be more or less horizontal.

I would do the following.   1)  Drain the gearbox oil       2) loosen the " major " clutch cover bolts   3)  see if the kick start now works properly, if it does there can be two possible issues     Issue A     the   " major " clutch cover bolts were holding the case in a spot that put sideways pressure on the kick start shaft, if this is the case you will only need to re-tighten the " major " clutch cover bolts      Issue B   there is a shimming problem side to side with the kick start shaft,   in this case I think you should take the bike back to your dealer to have this sorted out.    DO NOT FORGET TO RE-FILL THE BIKE WITH GEARBOX OIL BEFORE YOU GO RIDING

• Thanks 2

I am sure he removed the bolt, which is the detent for the kick start sleeve. Now it has to come apart and be reassembled properly. Which means removing the clutch. People do this all the time. Not reading the service manual before they start removing bolts. Beta keeps this well hidden under the mid pipe. It is not hard to fix, just time consuming. In fact it sometimes can be done just pushing the KS pedal halfway down and ibstalling the detent. But since he opened the case, the whole thing is better off coming apart. Great way to get to know your new bike. 

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pjw123 said:

Had loads of Betas & never had any bother with kickers of gear levers. Carbon fibre pipe cover a complete waste of time unless you have a 4 stroke, in which case they are essential to stop you burning holes in your pants  Kickstarter supposed to sit so it folds into the recess on the pipe. I think that's what BETA intended, but have seen plenty of kickers in the wrong  location. Gear lever main section wants to be more or less horizontal.

Carbon fibre on pipe is to protect it from falls. Later on, if the bike does sell it would have better value if its pretty then mangled. 

If I moved the kicker one cc it sits on and not in the crease dinging the expansion chamber/pipe. See pic below. These are the only two position offered on this bike. The later one is how I got. 

For the shifter, as mentionned it was a quick put on to see what it would look like. I will definitely be putting in a better position when final assembly. Did that mistake when I got my first used GG. Coming off enduro I was like man can't shift this, haha. Then had the duuuh, now I understand after it broke! Only takes me once!

20190412_155555.jpg

20190412_155537.jpg

20190412_155549.jpg

1 hour ago, lineaway said:

I am sure he removed the bolt, which is the detent for the kick start sleeve. Now it has to come apart and be reassembled properly. Which means removing the clutch. People do this all the time. Not reading the service manual before they start removing bolts. Beta keeps this well hidden under the mid pipe. It is not hard to fix, just time consuming. In fact it sometimes can be done just pushing the KS pedal halfway down and ibstalling the detent. But since he opened the case, the whole thing is better off coming apart. Great way to get to know your new bike. 

Didn't touch the bolt. When I took the cover off I did notice that it was holding/position something. Looked at service manual I have on hand and no mention of this bolt. That's why I am trying to get as much info to be better prepared. In my 20 some years in different moto disciplines, I've learned to be well informed before taking on certain tasks. Most service manuals are lacking some info.

Every bike I have at new or end of season gets ripped down and serviced. That way I get better longevity and learn my bikes.

These Evos are new to me so I am taking my time. 

The clutch is coming off tomorrow to take a look at the assembly.

Tx for the info.

2 hours ago, reggie said:

I would do the following.   1)  Drain the gearbox oil       2) loosen the " major " clutch cover bolts   3)  see if the kick start now works properly, if it does there can be two possible issues     Issue A     the   " major " clutch cover bolts were holding the case in a spot that put sideways pressure on the kick start shaft, if this is the case you will only need to re-tighten the " major " clutch cover bolts      Issue B   there is a shimming problem side to side with the kick start shaft,   in this case I think you should take the bike back to your dealer to have this sorted out.    DO NOT FORGET TO RE-FILL THE BIKE WITH GEARBOX OIL BEFORE YOU GO RIDING

I did try this at first and tried the ks with cover off. Same deal. But good idea though! Tx

Dealer is 600 km away. Worth trying basics first, then I might go for a drive! A looong drive! Lol