New day, New problem

herman

Ok, so I used the grease on the piston pin spacers and managed to get the piston installed. Many thanks.

Id posted earlier this was for my 199 when in fact it was the 191.

a little background: I found the 191 a couple years back and figured I'd take a chance. I hated the idea that it might end up in the scrap heap, so I grabbed it.

When I got it, the bike didn't have a seat, exhaust, and a few smaller things. The head was sitting on the cylinder without nuts. The seller said the bike had no compression and when I popped the cylinder off I saw why- no rings!

So, much time later and I'm working to get her back together as much as time and my health will allow, I have yet another problem/question:

The cylinder, when installed, won't seat on the base. There's about an eighth inch gap. Once over the piston, the cylinder slides down easily until it "clanks" leaving an even gap.

Given the condition of the bike when I got it, I'm wondering if this is even the correct cylinder for it. The top of the cylinder has a marking " 112".

does this ring a bell? I'm thinking the lower part of the sleeve is too long but I don't know. 

I was thinking that I could coat the edge of the cylinder where it slip into the case to see if it's hitting, but I don't know what to use.

im sorry to always need help. It seems as I've aged I've lost what little mechanical ability I had.

thanks, Herman

Edited by herman

A follow up- looked up the model numbers and found the 360 Pursang was a model 112.

If that's the case, I have to think the porting might be a bit wild for a Sherpa? 

If it is a Pursang cylinder and it is a too long sleeve, can I have it machined at the bottom to fit?

Edited by herman

If it is a 360 Pursang cylinder then the cylinder will be longer than a 325 Sherpa T cylinder because 360 Pursang has a longer stroke.

Yes the sleeve (and the barrel) could be machined shorter at the bottom to make the piston crown the right height for the cylinder, but the port timing will be wrong

Edited by feetupfun