......42 years later

Johnny Reggie

Hello

I've spent many hours enjoying reading posts until my eyes are like p*** holes in snow... I grew up in Yorkshire riding Bultos and Ossas. I explained to my wife that I grew up riding with the Lampkins (I think I saw a couple of them across a wet field, 400 yds away...?) and it is my right to start riding trials after a brief lay-off, 42 years to be precise. I live in Hertfordshire these days. 

I've bought an '85 TLR200 thinking I'd ride twin-shock events and restore the bike and improve at the same time. So far, new cables, bars, grips, tyres, exhaust, brakes and oils and still I haven't made it out of the garage. I keep breaking bits off and having to source reflex parts from the US... whilst the bike's nice and I'm having fun I do actually want to ride at some point!

So from the confines of the workshop I have hatched a plan to flog the Honda and get myself onto a Montesa 4RT and that's what I'm up to now. Funny thing, having grown up on two strokes, I'm not the least bit interested in riding one now and can't seem to see anything beyond the 4RT! (I reckon I've read all the threads on 4RT matters hence the eyes.... There are a couple of decent clubs and practice areas in my neck of the woods which I will join in the next few weeks.

As an aside, when I was riding as a kid, we wore wellies designed to fill up with water and overalls that soaked up the rain. I haven't quite come to terms with the spider man outfits errrr sorry trials wear, but I'm sure I'll get there. On the plus side my old Belstaff gear appears to be still in vogue (at least I saw David Beckham poncing about in one on his cafe racer) which reminds me I must scrape off all that Bradford mud! Happy days ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm sure this is a well trod path... I started off looking at used but well cared for machines...within the space of a few days I find myself looking at a new 300RRs. Worst is, I think I can justify one to myself. Although I've spotted a nice 2016 Repsol (the 2016 seems to have been the leap forward for the 4RT engine-wise and I think the shock and forks are the same as they are now 2018 - at least on the Repsol) and they have other new machines there too, am off to have a look to see what's what next week.

Turning up with a new bike and all is not my preferred route but I have a plan....A while back I bought a Landy Defender and a chap in a beat up old ex army number pulled up alongside me and offered to sell me some mud.. I think i could employ the same tactics here ?

I have a serious question tho' - Is the Repsol any good? Forget the value argument versus the std 4RT, just does it work any better? 

Cheers, Reg

Hello Reg & welcome to the forum (not that I post much but saw some common ground). I also moved to Herts from God’s Own but when I was 15 and a million years ago. I’d only owned a clapped out Peter Gaunt Suzuki 125 (it was a wreck) before we moved down here so zero talent. 

But then got well into trials down here as a kid and have dipped in/out several times over the years between family/work/other sport stuff. Some good clubs and a few decent blasts round. 

Having stopped for about 12 years due to other commitments, I bought a brand new 4RT from Herts MX at the beginning of 2016. It’s exactly what I need - 10 trials or so a year, nothing goes wrong (Honda), easy maintenance (except the oil filter change). I did ride a Repsol at Inch Perfect about a year ago - on the button but, to be honest, at a ‘getting back into it after many years’ stage the standard 260 4RT is probably the way to go. Plenty of punch and very well built. Also good for local trail riding if you get registered. I will def get another one.

nb you’re dead right about the clothing now - it sucks. Worse than the Lycra clad cyclists round here...

Hi rr62,

Good to hear from you! Well things move quickly in Herts (apart from those cyclist types in the lanes.. ? ), today I put a deposit on a 2016 Repsol - I understand it's done just a few hours, looks like new - all being well I will pick up Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Having stepped back from the precipice of ordering a 300RR, I concluded that it would probably make little or no difference to me.

Nash Mills (Berkhamsted MC) is a practice ground just down the way from me and I understand that Hillingdon & Uxbridge is a decent club too - I'm in West Herts and I plan to join both, can't wait.

I was looking at Inch Perfect - they do have it all going on up there eh?!

Will keep you posted on my progress. It would be great to hear about the local scene from you. Still eyeing the lycra with caution ?

Just to round off. Picked up the 4RT Repsol today. It's barely been used and certainly never trialled, just like a new one!

Got one of those big trail seats and toolboxes with it (the bay beckons)..

My first time on a mono and it feels great, sort of bouncy and very lively. No doubt be off the back in a flash ?