2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro.What should i do after the bike have been standing unused for over 2 years

thesaint

My 2005 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro have been standing in the basement unused for a long time. 

I have replaced the petrol with fresh 2% fuel,  greased  all "grease" points, cleaned the chain (that was really dirty) and off course cleaned the bike. 

There is one thing on these bikes that bothers me and that is the fact that the travel of the kick start is so short and the pedal also stops in the foot peg. on this TXT 125 pro.

I have not cleaned the air filter so i will clean the air filter and respray it with the ptoper "oil" and also put in a new NGK BPR5ES spark plug

Anything i have not thought of?

I will off course change the oil but i thought i would run the bike up to temperature before changing the oll

Also note the fuel tap instructions from the Owners Manual. It shows 2 different ways of working the fuel tap which is kind of strange. Perhaps the bike came with 2 different types of fuel taps?

Fuel tap in owners manual. 2 different.jpg

Edited by thesaint

Hi there, 

If it was my bike I would go through it from front to back. Firstly I would change all fluids, brake, coolant and gearbox oil, replace (not clean) the air filter and strip and carefully clean the carburettor. I would drain the tank of any old fuel and install a new in line fuel filter before putting in fresh fuel.

If you are going to compete on it I would also replace both tyres as the rubber has probably gone hard after standing for so long. I would also strip, clean and re grease the suspension linkage, swing arm bearings and check both brake calipers/pads etc. Lastly check that the fan is working properly before riding as it's something that often gets overlooked... 

I know this sounds like a lot of work (and money) but from past experience a thorough overhaul before riding will help to prevent problems at a later date. 

Perfect preparation = polished performance..... 

Hi

I have changed the brake fluid, i have had out the air filter and cleaned the air box but not yet the air fiilter. The filter is not that dirty but after cleaning the air box i for sure will.clean the filter as well. 

After i cleaned the chain and put on new chain grease. I have lubed all places that needs some grease/lubrication. 

I have drained the carb for old fuel and filled on a about 1m5 liters of new fuel mix 

I am just using the bike for fun so the tires will not be replaced the first 2 months 

If i replace the coolant on the bike can i use the anti freeze i use on a couple of my cars?

The anti freeze coolant is original Mercedes coolant for aluminum engines so i guess i can use that

Edited by thesaint

Hi again, 

I am not sure on the anti freeze issue, I always use a premixed coolant specifically for motorcycle radiators and have never had any problems.

Don't risk it with the air filter, it might look clean but the material breaks down over time and in my opinion a new one will do a much better job. They are not exactly expensive items but ultimately its up to you as its your bike.....If it was my bike it would be on the list of parts to be replaced...

Can't agree more that you should completely dismantle the rear suspension and verify the state of all bearings, and then lube them. If your bike was put away "wet", the rust will have had a nice long time to form. Not good. :(

Steering head and wheel bearings too.

If for no other reason, do it for your peace of mind.

Edited by d2w