Montesa 348 Cota, what carb is best nowadays ?

chappo

47 minutes ago, chappo said:

Hi cleanorbust,

Just exposed the pawls, what do you think?

IMG_1268.JPG

That's it. Try removing the slotted carrier (don't let the pawls fly away under spring pressure) and turn it through 180 degrees, then reassemble - you should get all the gears then.

• Thanks 1

Hell yes, all six :icon_salut:

Do i need the spring loaded mechanism, seems to work fine.

There is still some play in the shaft if i pull it towards me, saying that the bronze bush and o ring in the casing may take up the slack thinking about it. 

8 minutes ago, chappo said:

Hell yes, all six :icon_salut:

Do i need the spring loaded mechanism, seems to work fine.

There is still some play in the shaft if i pull it towards me, saying that the bronze bush and o ring in the casing may take up the slack thinking about it. 

Great result. I don't think you need the spring mechanism you mentioned, and the sloppiness in the mechanism should indeed be taken up as you fix the outer case back on. Any remaining slack then is probably down to 1970s Spanish engineering tolerances, not famously precise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

Hopefully this won't sound dismissive: changing the head bearings for roller type wouldn't change the head angle, so why would it transform the steering, unless it's simply the effect of replacing knackered bearings with decent ones of any type?

Agreed not as transformative as changing the head angle, but as the standard affair is loose balls in a plastic race new tapered bearings made the steering a lot smoother on my bike. The old bearings were past their best probably but clean and well greased when I replaced them. Good mod IMHO for £30.