Tyres ? ?

steve0

What’s everyone using?

I have an x11 on the rear which I thought used to be the holy grail, I was at Shatterford on Sunday and a bloke there was saying they are rubbish, no grip! Dunlop’s are the dogs, best grip ever.

Was he talking *****? No self respecting rider would touch Dunlop a few years ago!

Hi there, 

I am lucky enough to have 2 bikes, one is fitted with X 11's the other with Dunlop GP's. In my opinion they are both good tyres, the only difference I have noticed is the X 11's wear better and will probably last a bit longer...... 

As far as I know Beta fit their new bikes with Dunlop tyres now but a lot of riders swear by Michelins.... 

• Thanks 1

Michelin do seem to be the most popular brand by far... I've just bought a 4-Ride shod with Dunlop rubber and haven't really noticed a significant difference between them, TBH.

I guess a lot of it comes down to bike, riding style, running pressures and terrain/climate.

In terms of longevity, I guess time will tell for me.

Edited by riffraffretro
  • Thanks 1

For my Montesa’s I find the X11 the better tire I have used, the new Dunlop 803 GP is a close second and the former Dunlop 803 ? (Don’t remember the designation) wasn’t a real contender.

cant speak to any other brands.

• Like 1

Primary difference if I am stating it correctly is that they have slightly less material on the sidewalls/carcass so has less mass and so this helps with lower rotational inertia and makes it easier to hop around on them.  From everything I have experienced if the cost is the same or lower on an X11 they are the better all around tire being a bit more robust against punctures and grip is nearly the same in almost every other way.  If, on the other hand, you want to hop around a lot the X-Lite would be better.  

• Like 1

The Xlites just aren't good value for money IMO. They wear too quick, with very little (most of the times undetectable) increase in performance. I also end up running the Xlite at half a pound, a pound higher pressure to avoid punctures which kinda undos the extra grip they provide from the softer compound

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 6:42 PM, steve0 said:

What’s everyone using?

I have an x11 on the rear which I thought used to be the holy grail, I was at Shatterford on Sunday and a bloke there was saying they are rubbish, no grip! Dunlop’s are the dogs, best grip ever.

Was he talking *****? No self respecting rider would touch Dunlop a few years ago!

He is talking Sh£t mate, I took brand new Dunlop’s off to fit Michelin’s because I thought they were that bad , i did a couple of trials with the Dunlop’s and they don’t work well at all, they are very stiff,  they are more on the rears up north where they are impacting bigger rocks regularly,  stick with Michelin’s mate 

X11’s are best all round tyre.

Edited by 54tphill
Added extra
  • Haha 1

I agree, you have to run the Dunlops about 3psi to get a bite, loads of Dunlops up here but it's mainly rock. 

I ride kind of light for an old guy and I think they're happier with an aggressive style, not for me .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did my brothers today, swapped out the Dunlop for an X11, easiest tyre change i have ever done!!! Whats all the moaning about???

Did need to buy a new compressor though!

Small2583.jpg

Small2641.jpg

Small2642.jpg

Small2643.jpg

• Like 1