I usually only spray oil on the outside after cleaning the filter. Should the inside be oiled as well?

thesaint

I have cleaned the air filter on my 05 Gas Gas TXT 125 Pro and i use air filter Putoline oil in a spray can

I was thinking of only spraying oil on the outside of the air filter and put on a little grease on the end of the filter for a proper seal

I did a search on the net where one did soak the hole foam air filter in a bucket of oil.Note that this was done at a trial/enduro bike shop

That must be to much oil in tne filter even if you push out most og it? 

My question is when using air filter oil on a spray can,  do you only spray oil on the outside of the filter or fo you also oile the inside og the filter? 

Edited by thesaint

My feelings is some related to when and where you usually ride. Real dusty, oil the filter thoroughly. The oil migrates through the filter but oiling all surfaces and good massaging the filter to even it out works well for all conditions.

Edited by sherco70
More info

I only spray the outside of the filter, but this may not be the best way. 

I have used two different makes of air filter oil, including Motul air filter oil.  Both come out of the spray can in jets, rather than as a mist or spray.  Is this usual?

The foam is "open cell" which means that what you see is actually like a skeleton of strands with random shaped pathways in between. The air flows around the strands in the skeleton because it is a gas. The dirt particles tend to travel in straight lines and will hit the skeleton at some point. To prevent dirt particles from working their way through through the foam, the foam skeleton needs to have a thin coating of oil on it all the way through so that the dirt particles will stick to it when they hit it.

If you put too much oil in the foam, you will cause drag for the air by blocking some of the pathways (which will reduce the maximum power available from the motor)

If you only put oil on the outside of the foam, then if any dirt particles which manage to get past the oily outside of the skeleton before hitting a strand will go through the foam and out the other side.

Filter oil comes in spray cans and in bottles. Spray cans are probably a better idea because air filter oil has some light and fast-drying components that allow you to work the oil through the foam then evaporate off, leaving just the right degree of stickiness. Being a spray can, the contents are only exposed to the atmosphere after they come out the spray nozzle. When you buy filter oil in a bottle, each time the bottle is opened to get some oil out, some of those light and fast drying components evaporate from the oil in the bottle before you seal it back up again.

• Like 4

I just spray the outside of the filter.

the oil is propelled by CO2 so it comes out rather cold and really stiffens up the filter.  This makes is difficult to fit the "cage" inside the filter without possibly ripping the filter.

So I will gently massage the filter to warm it up, which in turn gets the oil to even out in the filter.

when warmed up, give it a good squeeze to release excess oil and good to go. :thumbup:

Only ever used WD40 or similar light oil as it is more consistent and does not affect carburation. I also use a white spray grease on the inside of the airbox to attract any dust that gets through. To renew I just add another coating. 

I switched over to the sprays a couple years ago.I spray inside and out and work it through out the filter with disposable rubber gloves on.I then rap with paper towel and press the extra out into the towling.If the filter is not completely oiled it will not work as good.I used to waste more oil with the poor on types.After doing a few filters with the spray I got it down so I don't waste near as much.

• Like 2

The liquid type is recommended to be applied by pouring some in to a ziplok bag then putting the filter in to the bag, sealing it and massaging tbe oil in. No mess and no waste with just the right amount used - surplus remains in the bag for next time if you put too much in, but you soon get to know the right amount.  I went to NoToil oil years ago, it's easy to use and can be washed out with a solution of washing powder so does not leave a smell in the kitchen?

Filters require light oil spraying on the outside after cleaning/ drying. It can be worked in by hand. That should take care of the dust !!!!!. (not quite so high on the agenda here in blighty).

Worth having a spare filter in the van, cleaned & in a sealed plastic bag.

More importantly, make sure you prevent the mud,  muck & water getting in. Some bikes worse than others, so check out the forums. When you take the filter off for cleaning, (after every ride BTW,) the inside of the airbox will indicate how good a job you've been doing. It should be spotless.

Avoid those special mx style filter cleaning/ oiling systems. Invariably you end up contending with a sticky horrible claggy mess.   

I only spayed oil on the the outtside of the filter but i am sure that is more than enough oil.

The spray can with filter oil did not spray like a can of spray paint does but more like the spray can of oil was taking a "leak"