Hi, looking for advise on buying an Alpina project

Lee halsall

On 4/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, Lee halsall said:

Do you think there will be a problem registering with DVLA given that it is an import but the seller has no paperwork but told me it was on the NOVA system ?

Lee

Hi Lee,

I've got a 1974 Model 116 which I will get running properly one day! I'm in the process of getting it registered now and have the paperwork, just need to fill the forms in and send them off. Mine was imported when new, according to the previous owner, who also told me that Sammy Miller, or it may have been Dave Renham, told him only four were imported to the UK that year. Therefore, it isn't in the NOVA system which may cause me a problem but we'll see. I wanted one when I was a Greeves-mounted teenager in the '70s and, now I have one, am looking forward to some gentle trailriding on Salisbury Plain!

I'll let you know how I get on with the DVLA.

Have fun

Mark

PS I've attached a couple of pictures of mine, taken a few years ago...

BultacoNS.jpg

BultacoOS.jpg

Edited by ajsm18
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lee halsall said:

Hi Mick . Never did find who it was that could re line hubs , you could message b40 and ask .

if you do find out , would you let me know please .

Lee

The link to his Facebook profile was messaged to you.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:25 AM, Lee halsall said:

Hi Mick . Never did find who it was that could re line hubs , you could message b40 and ask .

if you do find out , would you let me know please .

Lee

Thanks Lee, B40 doesn’t take PM’s

• 3 weeks later...

Lee - 

Any developments  / "Eureka!"  moments in your search ?

Reading through your o.p. again, I feel that what you are seeking is probably a model 85, or possibly a 98/99 derivative. This would be the closest of all in general characteristics to the Sherpa that you once owned and enjoyed (and regretted selling). As you have already discovered for yourself, a model 85 is in essence a mod. 80 Sherpa with altered gearing/larger fuel tank/lighting/more comfortable seat (allegedly).....which would suit well your requirement for "end use of unhurried trail riding". 

Add to this that the model 85 appears to be the most numerous Alpina for sale (Spanish or U.S. imports, usually) and as a result the easiest for which to obtain parts.  You can also dismiss all the hassle of replacing flaking chrome brake drum surfaces - mod. 85 doesn't have them. The original "parallel" front hub and 2-piece rear (i.e. the one with bolt-on spoke flange r/h.) have 'cast-in' iron liners.      

A  no-brainer ?  

Good luck with your search, whatever you decide upon......

Edited by lorenzo
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, ajsm18 said:

Hi Lee,

I've got a 1974 Model 116 which I will get running properly one day! I'm in the process of getting it registered now and have the paperwork, just need to fill the forms in and send them off. Mine was imported when new, according to the previous owner, who also told me that Sammy Miller, or it may have been Dave Renham, told him only four were imported to the UK that year. Therefore, it isn't in the NOVA system which may cause me a problem but we'll see. I wanted one when I was a Greeves-mounted teenager in the '70s and, now I have one, am looking forward to some gentle trailriding on Salisbury Plain!

I'll let you know how I get on with the DVLA.

Have fun

Mark

PS I've attached a couple of pictures of mine, taken a few years ago...

BultacoNS.jpg

BultacoOS.jpg

Hi Mark . Just an update on DVLA . On with registering a Suzuki PE 175 project and what has come to light is that you will need a nova and you will have to get an application form from HMRI by phoning 03002003700 and stating to the automaton that you need a NOVA application . It doesn't work online due to being set up for imported vehicles so the program won't advance if your answer to it's questions don't fit in . When you speak to a human , ask for the form to be posted to your address .Fill it in with letter explain what exactly your needing .

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 5:07 PM, Lee halsall said:

Hi Mark . Just an update on DVLA . On with registering a Suzuki PE 175 project and what has come to light is that you will need a nova and you will have to get an application form from HMRI by phoning 03002003700 and stating to the automaton that you need a NOVA application . It doesn't work online due to being set up for imported vehicles so the program won't advance if your answer to it's questions don't fit in . When you speak to a human , ask for the form to be posted to your address .Fill it in with letter explain what exactly your needing .

Hi Lee,

Thanks for that advice and I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've only just found your reply! Anyway, I'll do as you suggest and get in touch with HMRI.

How is your search going? There were two projects, an Alpina and a Matador on ebay last week. I'm not sure if they are still there but, from a quick look at the pictures, there looked to be a lot of parts. A bit expensive, I thought, at three and a half grand, though.

All the best

Mark

• 3 weeks later...