Mont Ventoux Classic October 2019

metisse

Speaking to some chums yesterday, the word is that this might be the last ever trial held there.  Apparently there are Mayorial elections next year,  and there is a new candidate,  who if elected wants to turn this whole area into a natural park. Result, no motobikes... So, whilst not  set in stone, anybody who has always wanted to ride or its on a bucket list, I suggest when the entries come out later in the summer,  to do it.  There is a previous thread on what you need to do and how your bike needs to be... will be a real shame if it goes its the best two day twinshock / Pre 65 in France.

• 1 month later...

No, but have done in the past. Its a very good trial.

This year , the first in many, I have not taken out a trials licence as France really has to sort out its trials ( in my opinion)  and its two slightly warring federations the FFM and UFOLEP.   

I will ride the two day  classics , 2 days in Andorra, VTC Mont Ventoux and Sant Feliu in Spain.

We have a small but dedicated group in the Dordogne that ride quite regularly, some fantastic land and anybody heading this way is always welcome to come out. 

Hopefully things will improve in the future and we might bump into each other... 

Just as I sent the reply above, I remembered reading that this years trial at La Roche was going to be the last... not far further East, Joel Correy used to run a 2 day classic trial  in August, that has now been discontinued

Something is amiss for sure

You right, and also they cannot believe an annual licence in the Uk is around 15 euros, compared to the two federations here charging 50 or 150 euros a year to ride a handfull of trials if that . This coupled with the long distances, expensive fuel, road tolls, and the 80 km speed limit, whereby you cannot nip.... along... to a trial early on a sunday morning, without getting pinged on a camera, make it harder to justify doing the competitons. There are so many riders that go out on a sunday in organised practises , but have no interest in competing. A " Friendly trial in Angoleume, in a fortnight will attract 80 riders, most of which never compete or take a licence, so how do you get them to support organised trials... The two day trials I will do this year only require a weekend licence.. so whilst not cheap I will bite the bullet just to ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Hamish, we went to the Cagouille Rageuse trial recently and were surprised at the low numbers despite it being a 'two day' event and the penultimate round of the championships.

From the outside it seems there are many problems facing trials here. The clubs seem to run too few trials, Lourdes run one modern trial a year, despite having the ability to stage a world championship round. So if you ride a modern bike you have 6 trials to ride a year! (Although twinshocks get 7!) Do the clubs have to pay a lot of fees to run a trial?  I appreciate that if the demand for a ride isn't there why put on more trials, but if you don't build it...... 

As I have found you also have to factor in the costs in registering and insuring a bike. Which seems crazy when the bikes hardly, if ever, touch a public road. Also at every trial I've seen where they do, the road is closed or the crossing is manned. So why the need? I know 'It's France', but....

Obviously increasing the numbers riding is the answer, but when the costs involved are so high, who's going to invest a lot of money to give trials a go? 

No one seems (in this area at least) to be encouraging kids into the sport either. There's several mountain bike clubs around me that run Wednesday afternoon and Saturday rides, why not trials? 

I have no idea how it all works with clubs and their grounds, but if you can drive a short distance to somewhere where you can ride and no one is checking registration, insurance, licences etc., then is there really any wonder that competitions are under subscribed?

29 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

Time to roll up sleeves and get on with electric conversions, then!

Your not even allowed to cycle or run in some national parks in Spain, apparently !!

I really do not know, where trials and more my bag, classic trials are heading here in France.  Your right in your view of the low entry at the recent twoday classic trial in France, I observed at the sunday venue and I think the club scrapped 50 riders.  Fuel costs, over active rozzers with speed camera's, speed limits, and sheer time you have to spend getting back and forth are all impacting trials here. Bikes have to be registered and insured , this adds another 75 euros yearly per bike.  Clubs are loathed to organise due to high and complicated paper work and costs, you should have a doctor and or ambulance present at the trial. Sections, you should  have vehicular access in event of an accident, and of course the old chesnut of finding observers.   The seventies and eighties were the halcyon days of trialing here where many of clubs held trials those club stalwarts have sadly died or lost interest and the trial has been lost. I am riding this weekend at a club where its deemed a friendly trial, sections marked no observers, you mark yourelf or your mate marks like golf. There will be a good turnout with only a small percentage of these holding a competition licence.  How you convince these riders to support " Proper trials " I really dont know. Sadly its a a big problem, getting land and permissions to use the land is the easy bit... 

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, b40rt said:

Your not even allowed to cycle or run in some national parks in Spain, apparently !!

Do you have a source on that?  Definitely not the case around here (and I can't think of any reason why or how that would change) but it'd be useful to know where this is happening