NEW BIKE INFO PLEASE

ENGLISHBANDIT

Hi everyone 

Would love to pick your brains a bit if pos. I have just bought a 2013 Beta 300 evo factory. that has had next to no use at all really does look almost as new (one owner) Anyway I am new to trials riding really had a sherco 290 about 2 years ago for local woods only used it around 15 times then sold it. I missed taking the thing out now and then so bought this Beta to get back into it. And yes i know it will most likely be to much bike for me and should have probably bought a 200 or 250 but us men know best bigger is better lol. Anyway is there any thing i should know about the beta pros and cons (bit late now i know) Anything i should do to it or any mods i can do to it to help me with the riding of it. I am 50 and don't bounce as well as i used to, so would like to try and stay on it ;). I will never be able to do the real hard stuff. but like to have a go and I want to get better if i can..What i would really like to know . is the beta 300 a good bike (I know Beta and sherco are the best to buy). I was looking for a sherco factory but the condition and low use of the beta did it for me. and as i really look after my bikes it was a no brainer for me as i will keep it that way. thanks in advance for any info on the Beta. PS also any good places to ride. been to bumpy in Leeds before bit small but ok. is there any good woods or trails that are legal to ride.my bike is road registered. 

Edited by ENGLISHBANDIT

Best low cost option to help with ride ability is to use a black or slow throttle tube if it doesn’t already have one on it.  

Other options to consider would be add a fly wheel weight, gear it down a bit, or use a low compression head.  

Good luck.

• Like 1

You will not go wrong with a beta and the 300 is a soft bike unless you really wind the throttle up. I have a 2017 Factory 300 and I flippen love it, it just pulls up anything and to be honest I have found it better than my normal 250 clubman one for been smooth. There are no bad points really I would always keep the back shock dog links greased as they can go if not looked after other than that plenty of oil changes and it will just keep giving you hours of fun.

Thanks mightyclub I always look after my bikes so no problems there. I changed the oil on  my sherco every 5 hours of use and did filter after every ride and every 10 hours of use, stripped it right back and greased everything. I have road bikes as well and do all my own jobs on them. I guess like a lot of bikers working on the bikes is half the fun. Off round Lochness again next month for 5 days of riding over apple cross pass and so on. How is the beta on the road say going from place to place. i take it you would not want to be on a road long and guess its not good for the bike, Not that i intend to road ride it. PS how will i know if the bike already has a black or slow throttle tube on it. will it say so or is it easy to tell. if i get one will i need a new cable or is it just a straight swap. sorry for stupid question but i really do not know to much about these bikes. I will get up to speed fast i hope with a bit of help

Edited by ENGLISHBANDIT

On the black tube... easy to tell just pull back the edge of the grip and see if its white or black, if white (Fast tube) you can change it to the black if the bike feels to quick on the throttle response.  And there is no need to get a new cable you can use your current one without issue.  

On the low compression head, my assumption was going to an S3 head however I didn't look into what options you have for your year/model of Beta.  

Top man. will check it when i pick the bike up.also Road and trials bike shop is not far from me so can always pop in and ask. I remember going over a tree at inch perfect 2 years ago one minute i was looking at the tree to ride over (3 foot high ) the next flying though the air like a bird then hitting the ground like a brick all in a split second lol did that hurt my pride or what.

My 2012 300 had a white throttle and 11/41 gearing. It was a hateful beast. 

Fitted a black tube along with 10/42 sprockets and now it’s great, especially in the soft map. No more coming home to repair the bike and stitch flesh back together. 

• Like 1

Thanks for info pindie I checked my sprockets front is 10T and rear is 42T  so all good there. It has a fast throttle so changed that to black so hope bike is set up right for me now. What would the recommend tyre pressure be for riding in the woods and going over small,stuff to start with think my sherco was 4 and 6 psi but can not remember to be honest. 

Well took the bike out today for the first time very happy with the bike. Glad I put the slow throttle on as without it I think one or two times I could have gone sky wards ???. Only out for 3 hours but god do I feel it. Forgot how bad my back is and with golfers elbow  I as well I feel like an old man ?. Lots of pain killers and muscle relaxers for me. Thanks for all the info everyone . Had to get a tyre pressure gauge 0 to 15 psi thought my tyres were set right at 3 rear and 5 front . checked with the new gauge I bought after the ride at my local trials shop and they were at 6 and 8.  Back brake was also crap. bike was still on the Oem pads and have been told they are to hard by my local trials shop ?. Put some red pads in ( forgot the name of them galfer I think )much better now. For any novice riders out there like me. I do not find the 300 to much bike at all. To be honest the slow throttle makes a big difference I think plus I have the 10T and 42T sprocket set up. And had it on the dry map setting.. one thing I would like to ask you all. How often should the fork oil be changed on these bikes. I am guessing this bike has never had it done. 2014 bike. Will be doing it myself. 

Edited by ENGLISHBANDIT