Tubless tires on my TY 250 questions

Junglejeff

I removed my decent tire off my GG and put it on my 74 ty with a tube.Will it work ok or just s bad idea.Sorta hard to find tube type trials tires these days plus I was trying to save some money.Have considered getting a tubless kit for bike so I can reuse my lightly wore modern tires but not sure what direction to go on this. 

I’ve used Michelin on back of fantic and bsa c15 without any problems with tube and rimlock bolts, but I am aware others have problems keeping tyre on rim at low pressure so maybe down to individual rims.

common best practice seems to be IRC tyre on rear for tubes, got one on now and it’s great

• Like 1

My TY250 is fitted with an x-lite from memory & didn't have any problems at the multi day event I did last year. Still want to get a set of spokes to fit a flanged Akront rim so I can go tubeless at some stage but struggling to find somewhere that can roll 4mm threads 

• Like 1

Thanks,I figure if I have a issue will simply install a tubless system that I use on my offroad bikes.Just hoping not to spend 100 bucks on one.They work fantastic but sort of pricy. I would do that before replacing the rim.I guess I will find out how low I can go with the tube in there.Either that or hunt down a irc tire.What pressure do you guys run in the back tire?

13 hours ago, Junglejeff said:

I removed my decent tire off my GG and put it on my 74 ty with a tube.Will it work ok or just s bad idea.Sorta hard to find tube type trials tires these days plus I was trying to save some money.Have considered getting a tubless kit for bike so I can reuse my lightly wore modern tires but not sure what direction to go on this. 

If you have the original rear rim on your 74 TY250, it will have a bead seat that is suitable to use with a tube and a modern tubeless competition trials tyre made by Michelin or IRC, or a modern tube type rear trials competition tyre made by IRC.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, feetupfun said:

If you have the original rear rim on your 74 TY250, it will have a bead seat that is suitable to use with a tube and a modern tubeless competition trials tyre made by Michelin or IRC, or a modern tube type rear trials competition tyre made by IRC.

Cool,it has the used Michelin on stock rim now with a new Dunlop on front.

• Like 1