Kickstart Shaft Seal

Dillypoop

My kickstart shaft seal keeps coming loose and leaking transmission fluid. I'm not sure what the deal is. It's a new(ish) seal and has consistently done this - is it normal?

It happens when kicking it over. It's almost like the kickstart shaft has some play and it's wiggling the seal out. Any ideas for keeping it in there? Some silicon?

From what I can remember of the gas gas kick start there isn't a bearing in the outer casing to support the kick start shaft just the lip seal..I have seen a few bikes with cracked casings usually from the rear facing side of the seal to the rear of the casing... I think there is a bolt hole quite close that the crack usually goes through... Might be worth having a good look at the casing. 

Good luck

4 minutes ago, thall1 said:

From what I can remember of the gas gas kick start there isn't a bearing in the outer casing to support the kick start shaft just the lip seal..I have seen a few bikes with cracked casings usually from the rear facing side of the seal to the rear of the casing... I think there is a bolt hole quite close that the crack usually goes through... Might be worth having a good look at the casing. 

Good luck

No, there is no bearing there. I will check for a crack. It looked fine last time I looked.

The PO had some issues with it and said he had to replace it often. I think it's a different problem. I believe he "patched" it by using some black RTV on the lip of the seal. It didn't come out before I replaced it last.

I do remember a washer being on the inside of the clutch cover on the kickstart shaft. I wonder if it could be missing and that's causing the issue? Or a worn out kickstart shaft.

Well, there’s a very very small crack. It starts at the bottom of the shaft and goes down a few milimeters. It doesn’t look like anything that’s a big deal but must be big enough for it to spread with a kick and loosen the seal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back onto this...

I can't get this kickstart pedal base off. It seems to be stuck on the kickstart shaft splines. I got everything else out but doing the "trick" in the Jim Snell videos isn't working too well. It's been soaking with some kroil for a bit. Hasn't helped. Any other tricks?

I've rebuilt basically everything besides the engine that could be rebuilt. It has been sitting for too long and I'm and impatient fella. 

The pedal is an Al-alloy while the shaft is some sort of harder steel; use a torch or heatgun to heat the pedal and hopefully it will expand enough to free itself from the shaft. Perhaps the previous owner Locktite'd the pedal onto the shaft? If so the heat will help to free the adhesive.

It's easier with the shaft out of the bike... i can't remember if it's secured with a bolt on the end of the shaft or a cotter pin type arrangement?.. If it's the former then put the shaft loosely between Vise jaws with the kick start pedal resting ontop ... Use a longer bolt in the thread on the end of the shaft.... Heat the pedal as suggested above and tap the bolt firmly and it should free... 

6 hours ago, thall1 said:

It's easier with the shaft out of the bike... i can't remember if it's secured with a bolt on the end of the shaft or a cotter pin type arrangement?.. If it's the former then put the shaft loosely between Vise jaws with the kick start pedal resting ontop ... Use a longer bolt in the thread on the end of the shaft.... Heat the pedal as suggested above and tap the bolt firmly and it should free... 

I’m assuming it’s possible to pull the clutch cover and kickstarter shaft all in one bit?

Ah ... I can now better appreciate your situation ... If I recall one of Jim Snell's videos, there is a technique required to extract the starter shaft from the case, and to do so might require holding items which you might not be able to access with the case in place.

Perhaps you can try to fashion a puller-type mechanism which grabs the backside of the lever "knuckle" and pushes against the center of the shaft (with a bolt/nut arrangement). Basically you need to pull the knuckle while applying pressure against the shaft end.

Another radical thought might be to use a Dremel-type rotary cutter to cut the knuckle off and then weld the cut.

As above, didn't fully appreciate the situation... Plenty of penetrating oil or diesel works well and heat with a gentle levering between the casing and kickstart knuckle ..try and get some ally packing to put on the case side to help prevent damage...

good luck

9 hours ago, d2w said:

Perhaps you can try to fashion a puller-type mechanism which grabs the backside of the lever "knuckle" and pushes against the center of the shaft (with a bolt/nut arrangement). Basically you need to pull the knuckle while applying pressure against the shaft end.

I think that's going to be my best option. That thing is on there good. I'll see if I can come up with something to pry it off. 

Just now, d2w said:

You're in Texas man ... hit-up your nearest Harbor Freight Tools for something cheap that'll do the job. :)

Harbor Freight has its place in this world and pullers is not one of them! 

I actually did look at them here and I don't think I can get them to work. They only had a 3 jaw puller (limited space so not sure it'll work) and the jaws slip easy (why I wanted the "caged" posi-lock). Since there's nothing really good to grab on to it'll be rough trying to get it to seat properly.