whats the best engine oil for a beta

ENGLISHBANDIT

Hi everyone

Just a quick question. whats the best engine oil to use in these beta evo 300 bikes. I just picked up some Putoline light gear 75W for now.  but is there any better stuff that everyone uses.I will be doing the oil change every 5 hours no matter what. thanks in advance

Edited by ENGLISHBANDIT

The gearbox oil has a fairly easy life, changing it that frequently is a waste.

On the Beta oil choice is mainly about minimising clutch drag, you may get away with what you've bought or you may need either nanotrans or motul 300v.

Beta UK recommended 75w light gear oil. That's the answer I got when I called them. Know a few people who have messed about with clutch action / plates. etc ,etc. I 've never had any bother. Change oil every 4 or 5 trials, not hours. Its generally pretty clean. 

19 hours ago, lineaway said:

If you want the clutch to actually hit, use ATF. Been that way now for three decades of Beta`s.

My question is , does it matter which ATF?

Is there a preferred ATF brand?

I have an older Beta Rev3 250 2001 and would like to change the oil, but I see too many choices of ATF on the shelves, so I really don't know what to buy

I have done an oil change today and used 75W light gear oil. See how that goes. I remember 2 years ago using 4 stroke oil in my sherco 290 recommended by a good trials shop ?. To be honest starting to think to many bloody choices ?. Simple with my road bikes. Anyway lads thanks for in put. But guess oil is just like bike tyres, everyone has an opinion on what’s best but guess it’s just down to what you like or trust. Thanks again 

• 1 month later...

I have been using rock oil since getting my 17 factory and it has worked great but I now have a local supplier for Putoline so once I have used up what I have am switching to what my local Beta shop recommend as I think it works slightly better for the clutch  

On 4/28/2019 at 5:55 AM, MIckyT said:

ELF HTX works fantastic in Betas a  bit more expensive but also last a lot longer. 

I run this in both my Montesa's.  Only because I have to.  Darned expensive ($50/qt) and takes a coupe of weeks to get it here in the US.

Much cheaper options are available for the Beta, eg,, Lineaway's suggestion.  Also, should be no problem going 30 hours between changes.