My girlfriend wants to ride!

arw

She wants to start, she rides my sherco 250 round the farm but needs to get the hang of gears and general bike riding 

she’s good on her mountain bike 

I was thinking of getting her a cheap motorcross bike or a pit bike so she can sit down and learn the basics, or do I go straight for a 125 trials bike?

advice please 

I would just put her on a 125 straight away  My wife asked could she come out on the back with me when I went out on my road bikes my reply was over my dead body if you want to come out with me do your test. I got her a 125cc bike, then took her down a private road I taught her the basics then got her to do the CBT we put her in for her bike test after 8 weeks she passed now rides an FZ8 and not slow either. Also wanted a go at trials riding. So took her to inch perfect for a days trials riding she loved it and had more bottle than most the lads that were in the same group. In the Deep end best way, that’s what we would do and they are no different . Have a bit of faith ?

Edited by ENGLISHBANDIT
  • Like 1

Hi, 

The skills your girlfriend will learn on a trials bike (balance, throttle control etc) are transferable to road riding. Some years ago I spent a short time as a motorcycle instructor and slow riding or simulating riding in slow moving traffic were the weakest areas for many learners. I can't remember how many pretend Mark Marquez's I have seen who nail the throttle down a straight bit of road but look like total muppets when it comes to the slow speed control.... 

I ride a little on the road but much prefer riding trials. Trees and rocks are hard if you hit them but don't have a habit of pulling out of junctions without looking. 

Good luck to you and your girlfriend, she might become the next Emma Bristow eh..... 

• Like 1

My wife started on a 500 street bike in a parking lot, then went to a single 650 single for a number of years.  Then to a dual sport 230 and now trials.  When we went to trials she started on a 125 Gas Gas and it was great.  If I was going to start it all over again I would have gone in the reverse direction starting on the 125, then the 230, and end with the 650.  

As such my vote, go for the 125.  However, if she is petite or timid a Beta 80 as suggested above is a good option as well.  

Some video of the wife on her 125.  

Wheelie practice: 

First time on the tire:

• Like 3

I went out today on my new bike for the first time ( beta evo 300 factory). 3 hours and I feel Old lol. I have a bad back anyway and have golfers elbow and my right knee is iffy , God am I aching and I am only 50 years old ?. Lots of strong pain killers and muscle relaxant pills for me. Good job I have them for my back?. But what a nice day. Bit dangerous doing it on my own might have to find a club or something. If they exist 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 8:24 PM, jonnyc21 said:

My wife started on a 500 street bike in a parking lot, then went to a single 650 single for a number of years.  Then to a dual sport 230 and now trials.  When we went to trials she started on a 125 Gas Gas and it was great.  If I was going to start it all over again I would have gone in the reverse direction starting on the 125, then the 230, and end with the 650.  

As such my vote, go for the 125.  However, if she is petite or timid a Beta 80 as suggested above is a good option as well.  

Some video of the wife on her 125.  

Wheelie practice: 

First time on the tire:

Why has she got a fire extinguisher strapped to her bike?

5 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Why has she got a fire extinguisher strapped to her bike?

Fuel bottle.  We trail ride from time to time so we want some extra range.  Its empty when we ride trials but the mount sicks out a bit so its safer to have the bottle there in the event of a crash.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:45 AM, guy53 said:

Where did you get that mount, and can you post a closeup picture, I've bought a 1 liter fuel bottle, but I have not yet figure where to install it.

Guy

Sorry for the delayed response, been busy so haven’t been online much for a bit.  

I will get some close up pictures and information on what we use for fuel later today.