Fork seal replacement intervals

ChrisCH

My old Rev has the Paioli 38mm forks, now defunct.  When we bought the bike the fork seals had "just been replaced" (presumably by the previous owner).  After a couple of months or so there was a new leak (R/H).  I got a local mechanic to fit new seals as it was cheaper (£45) than going back to the dealer - he reported the fork brace was loose.  I therefore assumed the previous owner had been ham fisted.  After what is now 6-7 months we have another leak.  I cannot see any damage or marks on the stanchions and the forks function OK it is just a bit wet.  (L/H only)  The black coating is uniform and not showing obvious wear.

I assume that the forks will gradually bend and deform over the years?  Is this frequency uncommon (bike is '05)?  There doesn't feel to be any play in the bushing and the forks are nice to ride, don't sag or anything.  The oil was changed and there is no other reason to think anything is wrong.  I just wondered if other people find they are also putting seals in more than once a year?

I can see a rebuild and re-coating (Titanium Nitride) service for £350 and that is tempting.  Very bling gold too.  If the coating adds a few microns that should help seal and compensate for 15 years wear.  Anyway thought I would canvas a few opinions before spending.  Thanks for any feedback.

There were professionally replaced new seals and new oil.  I am lucky that I have a mechanic in walking distance of where I work (and store the bike).  The bike will go back to him but I wondered if this was a common thing?  Seals are a rare item on road bikes and I am new to trials so want to know if it was a more common thing.  I think the rebuild and TiN coating service is a decent price, new forks are nearly 8 hundred and that is way way too much for an old bike like this.  Plus that would mean new yokes as the new size is 39mm, so about a grand all up.

As al_orange said above... I'd check for dirt first but in the past I've found the relatively cheap seal kits are too hard and dont last that long... A couple of months or less in one case.. However I've fitted the green SKF seal kits to our evo's, they are a lot more expensive but appear to have a longer life.

• Like 1

OK.  Thanks I will try the SKF items.  If your experience has been a similar life span then I can hope the forks are still OK.  I will change the bike when I can find a nice Evo as replacement but they don't hang around long enough even to go look at them.  I don't want to sell it with a defect and if I can't find what I want we will hang on to it for a while (the Missus loves it).  They are nice bikes just that annoying silencer rubbing on the tyre.

With regard to the silencer rubbing there is enough movement in the exhaust system to pack out the silencer mounting points to move the silencer out to the right enough for the tyre to stop rubbing.. I did it a few years ago on a rev 3. I think It cleared except for when the rear was fully compressed once it was packed out. 

pack out the rear silencer mount first to a point where it doesn't foul whilst leaving the other mounts undone. Once the silencer is then securely mounted work back towards the front packing the other mount points to suit.

it was s long time ago but I think I managed to fit a 10-12mm packer on the rear silencer mount

• Like 1

Thanks I will have another look at it.  I put a couple of extra nuts into the mounting point so it has taken it out about 10mm.  The silencer doesn't fit very well and this allows it to rotate and the bottom of the oval is still a bit too close to the tyre.  I cannot see any additional mounts at the front of the silencer - I assumed it should locate properly but there is nothing for it to butt up to.

The missus is at the small obstacle stage and all is fine, but it will give a problem as the rear suspension gets compressed further and harder going forward.  I have just been too lazy to give it my full attention if I am honest.  I enjoy riding not repairing.  Bank hols this weekend so might get a bit more time off and something to do other than be stuck in the traffic :)