Montesa Enduro 250

Liquidpopraver

I was given a Montesa Enduro 250 and now I’m trying to find a service manual for it. So far I’m coming up empty. Any help with anything would be much appreciated. I also looking for things to avoid or tips in general about this bike. Also I’m curious about the numbers stamped on the frame if anyone’s well versed in them.

Edited by Liquidpopraver

No clue to be honest. Based on photos I’ve seen i think its a ‘76. The stamping on the frame is 54m1074. I got nothing other than the bike so i’m Kind of out in no mans land. I’ll snap some photos of it tomorrow. I took the seat and take off it already but I’ll place them on there.

Anyone know what fuel ratio these ran on? I contacted southwest Montesa about a manual but have heard anything back yet. 

UPDATE: Southwest Montesa doesn’t have a manual for this bike. So it looks like I’m back to square one

Edited by Liquidpopraver
Update

After some playing around yesterday I think I’m having a spark issue. I removed the kickstart cover and was able to turn the motor over by a drill. I was doing this to test spark. I’m not seeing any spark at all. Does the switch panel on the left side of the handlebar have anything to do with this? The wiring on this bike is pretty basic but I’d love to have a wiring diagram!

I have a Clymer Publications 'Montesa Service • Repair • Handbook 123-360cc Singles • 1965-1972'  manual which states that it covers an array of models from Cota, through Impala, to Scorpion (King Scorpion) and Cappra.

Not sure if this would be applicable to your bike, but the engineering and technical fundamentals are all pretty common between variants; it's out of print and has been for years, but copies do surface from time to time.

Might be worth searching online?

In terms of a weak/absent spark, this issue is common and well documented here on TC; it's usually down to a faulty condenser, sticky points, incorrectly adjusted timing, stator degradation, poor earthing, or a combination of all of the above. I quit in the end ('71 Cota 247) and installed electronic ignition from Electrex World - solved the issue in an instant, which combined with a decompression valve (Venhill), makes starting easy.

The fuel oil ratio I run with is 50:1 (synthetic pre-mix), which does create moderate smoke but ensures a well lubricated piston and barrel... again, for the Cota 247. Your enduro, if ridden hard, with regular wide-open throttle might need a different mix... regular riding/plug inspection should provide guidance.

Edited by riffraffretro

No problem.

There was a copy of the manual in question, listed with UK eBay (Google Search: Clymer Montesa Manual), with a seller called Red Brain, but the link doesn't seem to load... maybe it's sold/is an old listing.

Might be worth contacting the seller... the manual is excellent.

Edited by riffraffretro

Well I’m faced with a dilemma, should I fix the bike or part it out. It’ll cost $400 for new ignition components. I’m only getting 120 psi engine compression with the kick starter. Is this worth putting the money into? If I spent a grand on it to get it going is there any chance of me getting the money back if I decide to sell it?

I guess only you know the answer to that question; spending out on classic kit hardly ever pays dividends (financial), but there's often huge satisfaction to be had bringing an old/tired example back from the brink and enjoying the process along the way.

Plus of course, you get to own and ride something that's a little less mainstream than opting for a newer model. 

Thanks Riff for the encouraging words. In my time of reflection on what to do I actually found an original manual for dirt cheap. Hopefully once i get that and the Chilton book I can diagnose the electrical better without just buying all new stuff. However, if its all bad I still think I’ll resurrect it. Now its just a waiting game for the service book and owners manual.

I went through exactly the same issue with my Cota - several new and relocated condensers, points (endlessly adjusted), HT leads and caps, timing set-up - then set-up again, replacement kill switch, thorough wiring overhaul, stator check, carburettor rebuild... all to no avail and producing a barely visible spark!

During the depths of despair (this process took me 12+ months, on and off), I too, considered selling-on as a 'spares or repair' project - I even came close to buying a fully sorted Bultaco Sherpa, but something inside... along with much encouragement from several TC members, saw me stick with the plan. Suffice to say, an electronic ignition conversion later, along with bottom end rebuild and top-end checks (so easy and rewarding to do - save for removing the primary drive gear from the crankshaft end - aided by the loan of a puller from another TC member), plus a coating of Caswells Tank Sealer, saw her fire-up first time.

She's a beauty... raw, unpolished and involving - quite unlike any other bike I've ridden... sure some of the engineering fundamentals are iffy (Spanish 70's engineering), but the handling and performance are remarkably good - plus, there's an ownership experience associated with a bike made almost 50 years ago, which nothing else I've owned can match... I love my 2018 4-Ride, but I love my Cota equally.

If you have the desire to see it through, I doubt you'll regret the decision.

Keep us posted and good luck - you WILL get there and who knows, you might just enjoy the challenge... I did.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2019 at 1:43 AM, Liquidpopraver said:

Well I’m faced with a dilemma, should I fix the bike or part it out. It’ll cost $400 for new ignition components. I’m only getting 120 psi engine compression with the kick starter. Is this worth putting the money into? If I spent a grand on it to get it going is there any chance of me getting the money back if I decide to sell it?

Yo man what did you do with the bike cuz if you still have it can you tell me what kinda kickstart I could use instead of the original