Montesa Cota 348 clutch play

jam0802

I’ve got a 76 Cota 348, and it has a lot of clutch play. The brass button and spider are in good condition, but when I put the case on, the arm the cable hooks to has a lot of free play. Are there any solutions to this?

What you refer to as the brass button was originally available in six different lengths to compensate for clutch wear. Since they are difficult to find, the easiest fix is to make up a new inner cable, cut to a shorter length than the original inner cable.

16 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I'm not sure of your question. It shouldn't matter how much free play the arm has. Are you saying the cable inner is too long?

My wording my have been a little off, I meant to explain that the arm seems like it has too much free play, and I was wondering how much free play it should have. As of now, the arm moves about 60 degrees from start to stop. 

Dont think that the overall movement of the arm itself should be a worry.

What is important is that it opens the clutch without drag when the handlebar  lever is operated.

The Venhill cable has a solderless nipple on the engine clutch lever end to help with adjusting out excess cable length.

There should be a cable adjuster at the handlebar lever end and at the clutch lever end threading into a hexagon shaped block fixed to the timing side crankcase just behind the kick starter.