07 TXT Pro - What Is Up With My Gear Oil?

miner

Probably best to start with the pic....

Gear Oil Sight Glass

Looks like its emulsified... OK when its been off for a while, looks clear before you fire it... normal or some issue?

Not losing water, maybe has a crank seal leak on clutch side... apart from that...?? Thanks. :)

Maybe... certain I changed it when I had the barrel off to do the base gasket... maybe another gasket the wrong size/spec? Couldn’t use the inner head gasket... had to get another. ?

That is a bad water pump seal. If you didn't change out the water pump shaft that rides on that seal then it would also cause the leak. It is the only place on a pro that water can get from the coolant into the transmission. The shaft can wobble if the brass bushing holding the shaft is enlarged as well. 

--Biff

• Thanks 1

Thanks biff... had it apart to do the barrel base gasket... replaced the o-ring that came with the S3 kit but there were no other bits to replace...  I will get a repair kit ordered for the water pump. ?

• 2 months later...

Finally got time to get round to working on the gas gas.... rebuilt the water pump with a new OE repair kit... when tightening the outer plug / bushing once seated the impeller won’t turn... I tightened the impeller up as tight as I could by hand.... maybe not tight enough and it’s too far out?

Shaft seal isn’t too far in, checked and was careful with that.... cant think of anything else? 

I'll just ask ... Did you confirm that the shaft in the driven gear aligns with the slot in the water pump impeller? I'm sure you must have else the water pump housing would not seal flush against the clutch cover. Just a thought.

Aye... not got that far, was giving it a dry turn by hand on the bench before I put it back on the bike. Thinking it can only be an axial clearance issue.... said to myself, don’t do that quickly before bed.... but did anyway. ?

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Got round to fixing it eventually, holidays, work, riding the 300, its taken a back seat but my riding buddy broke his arm so back on the GG for a bit... swapped the head o-rings with the new ones once they arrived at same time as rebuilding... had to take the subframe and both sections of the exhaust off, to remove the radiator to do the o-rings again... wasn’t fun. ?

Flushed the coolant channels, refilled with redline supercool, cleaned the carb, etc, etc... stuck it all together and took it for a quick test ride.  Started second kick with stale fuel, sounded nice and crisp revving it, felt strong on a few laps round the block. Bike looking good, be a shame to get it dirty but cant wait to get out and play.

It’s in one piece again.... :)

Thanks for your help. ?