Bike 2.5 yrs with very little use...so what maintenance?

Johnny Reggie

Hi, I wonder what the forum's thoughts are on maintenance.

I have just bought a late 2016 4RT which has clearly had next to no use. The seller reckoned that it has been used for no more than 3 or 4 hours. Gauging by its good nick, tyres, paint, wheels, casings I think so. Certainly never been trialled and looks like it's been stored in a dry place.

The manual talks hours and annual/bi-annual checks and works. I have changed engine oil and filter (was Honda OEM and probably this is its first service), gear Oil, plug and air filter. Given its age and not its use should I be doing anything else or am I good to go? 

Runs and starts fine. All thoughts appreciated.... Cheers, Reg

7 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

Sounds like you are good to go and got yourself a bargain.

there are a few mods if you are doing serious trialing but if just for general riding good to go

Thanks Jimmyl, that's what I hoped to hear! I am going to compete, after years away, but don't expect to be setting the world on fire. I've got a Mitani bash plate coming (went for the 5mm as opposed to 6 as I'm not going to be doing anything really heavy duty), Mitani stand and that's it so far. I have thought about the air filter protection and the bike has the std splash guard under the rear mudguard and I think this should be ok...I'm in the south and it's not like there are the rocks and streams that you regularly ride up North.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

would put the mesh on the mudguard vents and dump the oil catch tray under the head stock 

Cheers. I had seen a couple with mesh under the vents (in the dip of the "seat area" right?) and wondered 'cos you can see the electrical connectors and what not - is it just a mesh and tape job?? 

Where's the oil catch tray under head stock Jimmy - can't see anything that looks remotely like an oil catch tray... Sorry about the dumb questions, my first 4RT!

2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I just taped up the vents from the inside. Bike runs fine and the amount of muck that still reaches the filter shows that plenty air is getting through.

Ahhh that helps. So no worries about the gauge of mesh then. Thanks a lot ?

13 hours ago, thall1 said:

if you remove the tank and look into the gap left the catch tank is tucked up behind the head stock

Thanks thall1. Ive had the tank off and can see the white plastic tank. Looks like there are pipes connected, haven't had a real close look yet, will do that later. I'm intrigued as to what is to be gained by dumping it as jimmyl suggested...

Hi - if you search the forums will be in more detail but basically I think its an emission thing or environment thing. If you dump the tank you can blanks off the hole in the air box which stops any excess oil gathering in ther.

Also the fan relay mounted below the Throttle Body can now be placed up out of harms way behind the head stock where the little tank came from.

I then put a small in line fuel filter on the end of the pipe from the engine to the now removed tank and again tuck up in the head stock. The tank and pipe to airbox can now be stored away until you sell the bike and present the new owner with a box of bits he is never going to use again either   ?

Worth getting one of the little button fuel cap breathers and dumping all the vents and pipes that come as standard - get the flush fit ones.

Honda genuine bits can be good value so don't be afraid to look there first. 315r bits are also common/interchangeable ie swing arm/linkage wheels etc 

• Like 1