One Year Of Fourstrokin'

marlintec

Hi all,

After the first year of use, I think we have more clear the arguments of the new 4S machines. I own a 4RT with just one year old and I would highlight this points:

- Flawless bike. No problems at all in this first year. The bike keeps intact its performance in one year.

- Great response of engine, always constant in any situation.

- A little bit heavy in front, difficult turning. I got more tired with the 4RT than with a 2S.

- Great suspension.

- Not cheap to do maintenance: so frequent oil changes, included oil filter, made the bike significantly more expensive to maintain than a 2S.

The final point: Would I buy it again? Probably not. The main reason is that my riding level was clearly lowered with the 4RT. I have the 4RT yet, but I ride now a GG 250. Probably will sell the 4RT.

I would like to know about other opinions, very interested in Sherco 4T users. What you think boys about your 3.2 after this first year?

Cheers,

JM.

I didnt keep my 4T for one year so I can only give you my experience of the time I had it.

My observations are smilar to yours except with the starting problems and flooding from the carb into the airbox. With the addition of the keihin I found less problematic and easier to ride but in the end, the pure simplicity of a 2T cant be beaten by a 4T (for trials anyway).

Saying that though, 4t's do offer a different riding experience and if thats what your looking for, then there great. If I had the characteristics of the 2t but with the 4t power delivery, I would have one of them :(

On year down with the 4rt; improved my riding results from last year, found thet there are some things the bike makes smoother, especially floaters and cambers. It has been upside down a few times with NO ill effect and restarted WAY easier than anything else

. Maintainance is a little more difficult, but what else can you do in the garage after dinner? :(

Hi JM.

My personal experience with the Sherco 3.2 has been a fairly good one.

I received the bike mid June after some of the early teething problems had been sorted, the wiring short to ground on a sharp engine casting, and a better valve lapping, these improvements were personally told to me by Mr. Paxau, at the US world round, he used the bike to follow the Sherco team round in that event.

I has everyone else found the bike very temperamental on starting, and I think the main complaint by all who got the bikes, however I got used to the starting procedure and how to best start it hot or cold.

Only change I have made from stock other than personal position of bars and levers, is I removed the auto valve lifter, went a couple of sizes leaner on the main, and added more tube to the oil breather pipe, so if any was pushed out it didn't go all over the engine and smoke.

My Starting procedure when cold, put choke on, turn air screw in two turns, rock bike in gear with clutch in to break free the clutch plates, with no throttle I push the kick start f through a few times, then push it until at TDC, let it go past TDC until my boot touches the foot peg, then let the kick start come back up to the top and give it one good kick, she usually fires but doesn't start, at this time I take the choke off and doing the same push past TDC method she will start, after starting I let it idle fast until it is warm before reducing the idle down with the air mixture screw.

Starting hot I use the same push past TDC until my foot touches the peg, let the kicksart return and one good kick starts the bike.

If I stall or get a spitback, then I open the throttle full and kick over a couple of times to clear the engine out, then with no throttle start as normal.

I really love riding the bike and will replace with the 06 when available, my position in the results for the year, I have moved up one place in the Expert class, conditions and area we ride in suit the bike.

I have put many hours on this machine with only replacing the oil, no mechanical parts needed so far,

I think it is twenty one or two actual competitions I have ridden on it since June and not once has the bike failed to start or been unable to finish an event.

Very easy to ride with good balance excellent traction, clutch feel, suspension, riding position, same as the two stroke models, weight difference not noticeable in most conditions.

I find I can ride most sections in first gear, but the bike has enough power to pull any gear.

I think Sherco rushed a little getting the bike out for the 05 SSDT, this proved to be a bad introduction, and in truth the bike needed more testing before being released, easy to say with hind sight.

What would I change on the bike!! I think sherco have covered most of the areas in the 06 model, it did need more room for removing the valve cover for maintenance, I would also like a better tank seat unit with a least a third more fuel capacity, and the small fuel tank as used now as the option for those who only ride in small areas.

I think the trend of four stroke bikes in trials will in grow 06, Scorpa soon to be on the market with a 250 will also increase sales.

It was only a short time ago people were saying it couldn't be done, the bikes would consume all there own oil, and they couldn't make a competitive water cooled 4 stroke, after only one year I think they are doing well.

I am happy with my fourstroke so far, and I know they will improve each model year.

A question you should ask again this time next year JM.

Ishy.

almost 1 year on 4rt

first time ever that I am not buying a new bike this year that means i like it

Starts and runs perfect-everytime- no tricks no gimmicks just kick it and go all bikes should be fuel injected

smooth and fun to ride- my friends call it a cheater bike--I prefer to call it "skill"!!

I kept the oil changed often and filter twice. changed clutch master cylnder but not sure if it helped.

skid plate is weak have bent it back a couple of times and we dont even have rocks

fenders are brittle and $150 each I bought a plastic welder and have learned to repair them.

suspension is awesome

build quality is first rate

only problems are with things I damaged

Still keeping it for 2006 so I am happy

Tom Bledsoe

Great feedback, thanks. I would like to say that I'm not disappointed with the 4RT, I really enjoy the feeling of its fourstroke engine. It is just a case of results and physical effort what moved me again to twostroke.

Ishy and AtomAnt, did you suffered problems of overheating? I'm getting some feedback of the same question in Spain, and the overheating seems to be an important issue.

The start problem was also a concern in the Spanish sherco-users. Ishy, why you removed the decompressor set? Aren't you stressing the kick shaft-gears doing so?

I have not enough data yet, but seems that the 4RT users are more loyal to their bikes to keep them for one year more (not me). Sherco 4T users seem more prone to change this year?

Cheers,

JM.

No overheating problems at all JM, but I think the radiator cover fin profile is too flat, not allowing good air flow, I cut out some of the plastic fins to improve air flow.

Allowing the piston to go after TDC, allows you to kick it over with little effort.

It has been suggested that a manual valve lifter would be the best setup for the 3.2, as it is only needed to purge the system in an hot stall or spitback.

I may be doing everything wrong, but I seem to have better results with the bike than most.

Hi

Had my Sherco 4T since June, have ridden a trial most weekends.

Replaced one thermostat.

Changed Oil every 4 trials.

Since i modified the carb' the bike starts fine hot or cold, no different to

any two stoke. No special procedere except NO throttle and use hot start lever.

Can be an absolute bitch to start if turned upside down as fuel poors into aibox or engine...best not to crash! Keihin carb helps sort this i believe.

Clutch is the best i've used, coupled with a silky smooth bottom end the bike finds grip where most others don't.

RE500

Clutch is the best i've used, coupled with a silky smooth bottom end the bike finds grip where most others don't.

RE500

Having ridden one and watched the Sherco go up muddy sections I disagree with the grip thing...I would hate to own one where there's lots of muddy cambers...far too sharp for my liking :(

RE500

Having ridden one and watched the Sherco go up muddy sections I disagree with the grip thing...I would hate to own one where there's lots of muddy cambers...far too sharp for my liking :(

Find grip better than any modern bike I have ridden, but I have also seen some riders who couldn't find grip on the M1. :closedeyes:

RE500

Having ridden one and watched the Sherco go up muddy sections I disagree with the grip thing...I would hate to own one where there's lots of muddy cambers...far too sharp for my liking :closedeyes:

Having riden the bike for 6 months in the mudddy south of England can't say finding grip has been a problem, camber or not!

Perhaps its the rider :(

RE500

Expected a reply like that :( lets put it another way then...there not as easy to ride than say a 2stroke ?

RE500, I had my fair share of fourstrokes over the years and next to my old XT500 enduro the Sherco has got to have been one of the hardest to start..the monts do seem to have the edge in this dept....4rt guys seem to just drop there foot on the kickstart and it's going :closedeyes:

Expected a reply like that  ;)  lets put it another way then...there not as easy to ride than say a 2stroke ?

RE500, I had my fair share of fourstrokes over the years and next to my old XT500 enduro the Sherco has got to have been one of the hardest to start..the monts do seem to have the edge in this dept....4rt guys seem to just drop there foot on the kickstart and it's going  ;)

I'd agree that in some situations they are not as easy to ride as a well setup 2stroke :closedeyes:

Also agree the 4RT for the most part starts easily..though not always. The Sherco is not as differcult to start as most people believe it just requires a different technique to starting a 2Stroke.

If you've started an XT500 the Sherco4T should be easy :(

RE500