TRS Ground Clearance Lower Than Others

walz

I've been enjoying my '17 RR for almost a year.  I ride advanced.  The Betas have 1" plus of extra ground clearance and that does make the winning difference sometimes for 2 ledges in a row.  There is one obstacle I consistently do on my buddy's Beta that I'm not used to and I've never put it together on my TRS.  I want to trade my TRS for a Beta: Change my mind!

Ground clearance isn't the big deal it once was, modern riding style means you wheelie and hop over most stuff so an inch or so clearance doesn't make any odds.

Suspension moves that much that on full compression I bet there's not much more than 6 inches of clearance so everything's academic.

Anyway isn't a Beta motor a lot wider than a TRS?

• Like 1

I can get up stuff on a TRS, that I struggle a bit with on a Beta. TRS feels smaller, lower & lighter. The front end is easier to move around. I run a 9 tooth on the front which makes first/second more usable for me IMO. TRS is a bit lower geared overall.  Having said that I've had several Beta's, & there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, breagh said:

Ground clearance isn't the big deal it once was, modern riding style means you wheelie and hop over most stuff so an inch or so clearance doesn't make any odds.

Suspension moves that much that on full compression I bet there's not much more than 6 inches of clearance so everything's academic.

Anyway isn't a Beta motor a lot wider than a TRS?

Out of hundreds of obstacles there are two double moves I can do on his foreign-to-me beta immediately but have never gotten on my trs. I like the turning radius and smoother power as well. Ill keep riding them back to back over the next month before buying the next fresh one. Thanks for the input.

I have yet to find a rock that would stop me every time on a bike with 1" less ground clearance, that I could get over on another brand. Perhaps more a question of confidence (you expect it to happen so it does) and technique not being quite the same an a different bike. (More knee action required perhaps).

6 hours ago, mattylad said:

I have yet to find a rock that would stop me every time on a bike with 1" less ground clearance, that I could get over on another brand. Perhaps more a question of confidence (you expect it to happen so it does) and technique not being quite the same an a different bike. (More knee action required perhaps).

Not a rock. Two features that are put together. Beta rolls over but on my trs I would need to use a completely different tactic. I consistently podium in advance in surrounding states. Plenty to learn but not my first day.

Lower ground clearance, lower c of g... ?

Regarding turning radius, the turning radius of a beta is what makes a lot of club men love it, because they cant hop. The turning radius of a bike is rather academic to an advanced rider. Its also what makes it tuck and throw you over the bars easier. You cant have your cake and eat it

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, walz said:

Not a rock. Two features that are put together. Beta rolls over but on my trs I would need to use a completely different tactic. I consistently podium in advance in surrounding states. Plenty to learn but not my first day.

The Beta is a much more forgiving bike. That is why I ride one. My son Loves his TRRS, but it does not always love him. I ride his bike often, always thinking that I like it. But after an all day ride on the Beta, it can`t be beat just for what it does.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:41 PM, walz said:

How big are the obstacles ? I'm thinking not very big of the Beta simply rolls over them but that doesn't agree with you being an advanced class rider consistently on the podium ?

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

How big are the obstacles ? I'm thinking not very big of the Beta simply rolls over them but that doesn't agree with you being an advanced class rider consistently on the podium ?

Depends on how many steps are on the podium.........

images.jpeg

11 hours ago, baldilocks said:

Not huge, one is a couple tires on end with much less than a bike between them. Maybe 3’ high but the radius kills the TRS so I’d have to wheelie, stuff the front on 2nd tire, then hop the next from a stand still without much traction.  Beta clears radius and rolls. I need to ride the beta on bigger stuff but that’s tough when it’s not yours.

other obstacle is a 4’ rock to an immediate 90. A floater then a drop is far more hazardous then simply rolling on the beta.

Edited by walz