Rim tape removal

danbbx1

Hi all

iv removed battered rim tape from front wheel and it’s left heavy Amounts of adhesive on the rim, anybody had this and what have you used to remove it easily?

Thanks 

Edited by danbbx1

The ones that I fitted to my bike were a sod to remove.  I had to roll the glue off with my fingers and ended up with nasty blisters on each thumb.  I tried all the usual stuff in my cupboard, brake cleaner, contact cleaner, solvent remover it was not coming off any other way.

to stop air leaks through the rim tape!

some trials bikes have the spokes on a 90degree flange, so you don't have this problem but on a conventional spoked wheel, air leak from the spokes into the tyre or the spoke coming through into the tube are a real issue. also water and mud ingress via the same route

i remember many an enduro rider putting layers and layers of duct tape down first, then rim tape (sometime silocone the spoke holes first)

2 hours ago, rabie said:

to stop air leaks through the rim tape!

some trials bikes have the spokes on a 90degree flange, so you don't have this problem but on a conventional spoked wheel, air leak from the spokes into the tyre or the spoke coming through into the tube are a real issue. also water and mud ingress via the same route

i remember many an enduro rider putting layers and layers of duct tape down first, then rim tape (sometime silocone the spoke holes first)

Your explanation would make sense if front wheels were run tubeless. The original post was about a front wheel, not a (tubeless) rear wheel

• Like 1
  • Confused 1