Advice on age of this bike please.

Robaidh

Hi guys. 

I'm looking for some advice on this bike. The owner of it says the guy who sold it to him said it was a 04 290 but says he has put the 09 plastics on it. 

Is anyone able to tell me if it looks like a 04 or older ect? 

Thanks robaidh 

received_2258918577696409.jpeg

Just because the frame is black doesn't mean it was originally one of the black framed shercos. Theres only one brace between the down tube and top tube so it is 2001-2005. Also the tank is definitely not post 2005 looking at how the top bolt of the tank mounts to the frame. The exhaust has the plastic guard on it so not 2001. That leaves either 02 03 04 or 05

The clutch cover has a centre badge, the 2005 and i think the 2004 also, had 'sherco' cast on the outside, so this leaves 02 or 03

The 03 had dark coloured crankcases, these are silver, so 2002

So this all points to an 02, unless its a bitsa

Edited by faussy
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, faussy said:

Just because the frame is black doesn't mean it was originally one of the black framed shercos. Theres only one brace between the down tube and top tube so it is 2001-2005. Also the tank is definitely not post 2005 looking at how the top bolt of the tank mounts to the frame. The exhaust has the plastic guard on it so not 2001. That leaves either 02 03 04 or 05

The clutch cover has a centre badge, the 2005 and i think the 2004 also, had 'sherco' cast on the outside, so this leaves 02 or 03

The 03 had dark coloured crankcases, these are silver, so 2002

So this all points to an 02, unless its a bitsa

Wow, thank you so much. That's a superb response. I'm not fussed about age it's just for ordering parts ect. As long as its reliable I'm happy 

Just now, Robaidh said:

Wow, thank you so much. That's a superb response. I'm not fussed about age it's just for ordering parts ect. As long as its reliable I'm happy 

2001-2005 are virtually 100% similar to your bike. 2006 onwards mostly similar engine wise and running components, but the frame changed to accommodate the 4T that was released in 06

7 minutes ago, Bilko said:

2006/2009 With  that frame yr should be the 10 didget example

sherco.png

At the risk of sounding like a numpty where it says "sherco 06" does that relate to 2006? 

Also where is the vin number located?