De Tune

BryanS

Hello, great forum.  Learned a lot from reading.  

Im totally new to trials and of course went out and purchased a brand new Beta 300 Factory edition Evo.  

Love the bike, however it’s just to much.  Wish I would have bought the 250. 

Anyway, any advice or anyway to de tune other than the obvious means on the bike using the two modes? 

To soften mine I went with the low compression head, 2 teeth added to rear sprocket and carbon fiber reeds. The low compression head helps reduce the top end hit and makes it a bit easier to kick. The carbon reeds improve the low end torque and make the power more linear. That helps control. The lower gearing just slows everything down. Trials bikes are often geared up for the European market where they may have to run on the street for short periods between sections. Where the loop is all trail that’s not of any benefit.

Control setup is critical and you can find a lot of info just browsing this site. 

One thing to keep in mind is you’re new. You will get used to the power and in time you will come to rely on it. Right now though it feels like you’re drinking from a firehose every time you twist the grip. The factory bike you have may also have the fast throttle tube (white) there is a black throttle tube that is about 20 degrees less turn that you may want to put on.

• Thanks 1

White Domino Throttle tube has "fast-action" of raising carb slide with about 96 degrees of throttle turn. Black Throttle tube is called "slow throttle", because you have to twist it about 120 degrees to get full carb slide movement. If you have White throttle tube, then yes, Black throttle tube will help you take away some of the quick response that white throttle provides. I run 10/44 gearing on my 16 Evo 300 (up 2 teeth in rear sprocket as Dan mentioned). I replaced "Standard" weight flywheel with heavier "Super Smooth" Flywheel and also added heavier Primary Gear; but now think I might have too much mass on crankshaft. There is also a modification that can turn a white throttle tube from "Fast Action" to "Slow off Idle and progressively get quicker at top half of throttle turn by cutting a groove where cable attaches.

17 hours ago, dan williams said:

To soften mine I went with the low compression head, 2 teeth added to rear sprocket and carbon fiber reeds. The low compression head helps reduce the top end hit and makes it a bit easier to kick. The carbon reeds improve the low end torque and make the power more linear. That helps control. The lower gearing just slows everything down. Trials bikes are often geared up for the European market where they may have to run on the street for short periods between sections. Where the loop is all trail that’s not of any benefit.

Control setup is critical and you can find a lot of info just browsing this site. 

One thing to keep in mind is you’re new. You will get used to the power and in time you will come to rely on it. Right now though it feels like you’re drinking from a firehose every time you twist the grip. The factory bike you have may also have the fast throttle tube (white) there is a black throttle tube that is about 20 degrees less turn that you may want to put on.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am going to do.   I actually see that Beta makes and sells a “Super Smooth” version in the 300.  Someday I will want that power back, 

thank you again.  Love the sport, hope it grows.  

On 5/19/2019 at 7:32 AM, BryanS said:

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am going to do.   I actually see that Beta makes and sells a “Super Smooth” version in the 300.  Someday I will want that power back, 

thank you again.  Love the sport, hope it grows.  

Bryan,

I agree with what has already been posted in this thread. But since you are in AZ I thought I'd mention that you could call Dirt Riders West @ (602) 370-7546 as they helped me tune a 300 exactly the way I wanted it. I'm not affiliated with Dirt Riders West just mentioning them as another source of tuning info.