Kickstand

dan williams

Seems a bit harsh, Dan. I would agree it’s a bit agricultural, but it works.

I’ve just had to rework mine a bit. It moved about slightly on the swinging arm. When I took it all off I found a loose helicoil on one of the fixings. (Do Beta fit helicoils as standard or has mine already had a repair?) We couldn’t get a new helicoil to go in right so I drilled through and used a nut and bolt.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dan williams said:

The stand itself is OK but access to the fasteners is, to say the least, less than user friendly.

I can’t disagree with that. I had to do the job on the bench with the swinging arm removed. And checking the fixings is one of the items on the Beta UK SSDT preparation list. It might be possible to access them with a T-handle allen key, but I don’t have one the right size.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dan williams said:

It would help but there’s a lot of torque required.

Agreed. The long side has the ball-end on it so you end up having to apply torque with the short side (by bodging on a bit of tube, or mole grips, or something). Not nice.

Dan, did you find the threads had helicoils in them? I'm not sure if Beta put them in as standard, or whether mine has already been repaired before I got it.

Edited by trapezeartist

To be honest I didn’t crawl under to look. But I suspect they do as I screwed in stainless replacement bolts to check the threads and pulled out some steel thread material that didn’t come from the stainless bolts or the OEM bolts.

Exactly like mine then, Dan. My stand was a bit wobbly. When I took off the swinging arm and then removed the stand, one of the helicoils had partly come out so was preventing the stand seating properly. My local mechanic tried to replace the helicoil but the new coil wouldn’t go in properly. I drilled through the swinging arm and used a M8 nut and bolt.

I found that if I parked on soft ground and the kickstand sank into the dirt it would put enough torque on the kickstand to loosen the bolts. I the first time I did this I was happy to find that Beta installed helicoils. My cure is to pull the swingarm, install new stainless bolts and torque them at maximum torque for the bolt. With the swingarm off the bike I can then get a straight hex wrench on the bolts. This and being careful where I park seems to solve the problem. 

5 minutes ago, pindie said:

Mines missing. I can see a helicoil in the swingarm. I find trees or rocks as a stand. 

Yeah me too for about 6 months but there’s no denying the convenience of just being able to park it without finding a tree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1