Whiskyshooter

2019 raga forks

Does anyone know the reasoning why the raga comes with the steel tech forks over the aluminum. 

Edited by Whiskyshooter

I would think it is for financial reasons and durability. Did you try contact your local dealer and ask them?

Could it be that the gold chrome type finish would not be possible on aluminium perhaps to allow for less friction

The 17 had aluminium forks , no issues with coating coming off and still on original fork seals when I sold it. I did hear they wanted to make the front slightly heavier so changed to steel but I find that hard to believe. 

I honestly can't tell the difference in the forks in terms of performance and if I drop it I'll be happier as the steel should be more robust 

2 hours ago, bluey said:

If the tubes are exactly the same wall thickness the steel will be a lot heavier.

If the tubes are made to be the same strength, the weight difference can be very small or nothing.

https://sciencing.com/strength-tubing-vs-steel-tubing-7811536.html

Thats because they are using youngs modulus. If you look at tensile strength good quality alloys can be up to 3 times stronger than steel for the same mass

Edited by faussy

Aluminium forks have smaller internal diameter.

Maybe top riders feel some difference on flex and some kind of dampening since steel forks can flex more. At least on frames, not everybody love aluminium.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:32 PM, Whiskyshooter said:

Does anyone know the reasoning why the raga comes with the steel tech forks over the aluminum. 

They reckon the gold steel stantions have a better action than the alloy ones, think they changed to them on the 18 model. RR AND the Golds use them.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:32 PM, Whiskyshooter said:

The current Tech Forks are all have lower legs (Aluminium) and stanchion tubes made of steel.

Canario

Edited by Canario