Ossa Mar paint codes

grahamw

I'm about to undertake a full restoration of a Ossa Mar 250 1972 mk1 and I'm needing the paint codes for the white and green if anyone has them please. 

Edited by grahamw

Alex Snoop recently gave the color codes to my riding buddy when we were having his fuel tank and side panels sprayed.  Might contact him for the info.

As a caution, the fuel tank work was a serious pain.  As many have posted, over time the fuel, especially ethanol added fuel will attack the resin system used to build the fuel tank.  Hopefully you have the aluminum tank.  If not, expect a bunch of work to remove the soft area and leaks on the fibreglass tank.  

For my buddies MAR, essentially, the tank was pressurized with a bicycle tire pump while submerged.  All the weeps and leak areas were noted.  For his, due to soft areas from knee impacts, the entire outer exterior was abraded, then repaired with Vinylester resin and fibreglass.  Noted leaks on the underside were repaired also.  The tank was block sanded to a reasonably close profile of original, then leak checked again.  Once all leaks were addressed, and the tank was structurally sound, I had a friend accomplish the finish work.  This included a first layer of epoxy primer over the entire tank and side panel surface to help seal the finish top coats from the fibreglass and possible issues that lift many paints.  Next, they used a skim layer of body filler to obtain the correct shape and profile smoothness.  Final work involved a correct fill primer for the paint used.  The fill primer was utilized to remove any pinholes in the body filler.  The the final top coats were applied.  Certainly was a lot of work.

Lovely looking Mar that. Thanks for your help and some useful info. Mine is a fibreglass tank so I'll probably have the same carry on as you. I'm not sure who Alex snoop is or how I would get in touch with him on here. 

50 minutes ago, grahamw said:

Lovely looking Mar that. Thanks for your help and some useful info. Mine is a fibreglass tank so I'll probably have the same carry on as you. I'm not sure who Alex snoop is or how I would get in touch with him on here. 

Alex Snoop

asnoop13@optonline.net

He is in the USA and a great source of OSSA parts and services, plus info, like paint codes.  I would ask my buddy that owns the MAR in the photo, but he is a bit too busy currently.

2 hours ago, fourex said:

I love the look of the MAR and am also after a paint code if possible, don't mean to be too critical but isn't that a mk 2 seat ?

Very doubtful the seat is MK2, but willing to listen to why it could be.  That seat came off my own MAR that is built in October 1972.  Could the original owner have replaced his original seat, possibly.  I got my MAR from the original owner and a longtime friend.  He made no mention of changing it.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:38 PM, pmk said:

Very doubtful the seat is MK2, but willing to listen to why it could be.  That seat came off my own MAR that is built in October 1972.  Could the original owner have replaced his original seat, possibly.  I got my MAR from the original owner and a longtime friend.  He made no mention of changing it.

I just thought that the mk 1 had a different pattern on top of the seat and didn't have the side strips like this brochure shot shows, it's quite possible that only the very first mk 1's (1972) had this type of seat and later mk 1's (1973) wore the mk 2 style seat. I don't know for sure, either way your buddies MAR looks stunning and I would be proud to have something like that parked in my garage.

OSSA MAR mk1.jpg

20 hours ago, fourex said:

I just thought that the mk 1 had a different pattern on top of the seat and didn't have the side strips like this brochure shot shows, it's quite possible that only the very first mk 1's (1972) had this type of seat and later mk 1's (1973) wore the mk 2 style seat. I don't know for sure, either way your buddies MAR looks stunning and I would be proud to have something like that parked in my garage.

FWIW, it is for sale,