280 txt pro not idling

bananaman69

Hi all  newby here so be gentle  !  

As title, 2003. 1st trials bike, project mainly for off season when I can't get on tarmac tracks... Bit of a dog at the moment and trying to make it half reasonable bit at a time to be able to use. Main thing was rough running, had the fuel system apart to clean, tank, carb, replaced/cleaned all filters and pipes, all jets, fuel tap etc. (Compressed air available). Whereas before it wouldn't run without choke or idle and still rough it now runs sweet on the gas (once started) but won't idle. Mixture screw 3-3.5 turns out, running screw appears to make no difference. Quite handy on the tools but lacking the knowledge .

Any suggestions please ?  TIA

The carbs on my 2008 TXTs are Dellorto brand. I'm going to assume that you have the same on your bike. There is a mixture screw and a throttle stop screw on the side of the carb. Screwing the throttle stop screw in will raise the slide and increase the idle speed; this can be verified by observing the slide with the airbox and connecting snorkel removed. Note that the throttle stop screw does not effect the idle mixture (and I believe that is metered by the pilot jet). What size of pilot jet is installed in your carb? And while you're into the carb you might as well note the sizes of all the other jets as well as the needle and clip position.

Edited by d2w

Pilot jet or pilot circuit still clogged. The circuit flows out in two locations. One under the slide and one in front of the slide. You might post which model carb is on the bike.

Edited by lineaway