Qualifying Italy

Explanation from repsol Honda website:-

Takahisa Fujinami and Toni Bou turned out a surprise result in the first qualifying round of the 2019 TrialGP season held today in Pietramurata (Italy), with all the riders finishing with the maximum score.

The heavy rain which fell today at the OffRoad Park in Pietramurata wreaked havoc the start of the TrialGP World Championship which got underway today in Italy. The sports centre hosted the first day of the world championship which was battled out under the artificial glare of the OffRoad Park floodlights. The results of this qualifying section dictated the starting order for tomorrow’s main event.

After a first attempt at the qualifying section, which saw every one of the TrialGP riders fail due to the difficult terrain conditions, the world championship organizers decided on removing the logs from the most slippery part of the section.

This did nothing, however, to diminish the adverse conditions, with riders heading out for a second shot, only to see the entire field once again five the section, producing one of the event’s strangest-ever qualifying results. In the end, Toni Bou will start out tomorrow from fifth position and Takahisa Fujinami from fourth.

Tomorrow, Sunday, sees the first event of the 2019 world championship, with a total of fifteen sections to be taken over two laps to the course. The first riders head out at 09:00 hrs. Toni Bou is due to start at 09:50 and Takahisa Fujinami a minute earlier. The race is scheduled to end tomorrow afternoon at approximately 15.45.

• Like 1

I kind of disagree the way Toby won the qualifying, trials is about riding to the conditions at the present, taking a time from a previous qualification sounds wrong to me. I don't know of any other sport that a time set in a previous round trump's the time set in the final qualification run, could you imagine F1 doing something like that? 

This makes the rules out to be it's the best of your 2 rides, however if you five in the final qualification you can't use the clean in your previous ride? 

Have the quali rules changed this year, I'm sure this wasn't like this last year

Edited by faussy

1 hour ago, faussy said:

I kind of disagree the way Toby won the qualifying, trials is about riding to the conditions at the present, taking a time from a previous qualification sounds wrong to me. I don't know of any other sport that a time set in a previous round trump's the time set in the final qualification run, could you imagine F1 doing something like that? 

This makes the rules out to be it's the best of your 2 rides, however if you five in the final qualification you can't use the clean in your previous ride? 

Have the quali rules changed this year, I'm sure this wasn't like this last year

So are we agreed it's not just the first lap scores are all maximum for trial gp class ?

20 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

So are we agreed it's not just the first lap scores are all maximum for trial gp class ?

My point wasn't in reference to the GP class at this event. I see that they all fived in both quali rounds. I was meaning in general, it seems the rules are changed for this year, where the best of two runs is taken, time and observation, and I don't think I agree with it. I watched the video of Toby in his second run and thought at the time he didn't look he was trying 100%, now I know why, he had already qualified

Edited by faussy

Maybe they need something to separate the fives, either the person who got the furthest point up to their five, or the fastest time to a five. Either may be rather hard to observe, or this type of situation may never arise again, it just seems a bit of a waste they end up resorting to the random start order.

Why not get rid of qualifying, it is nothing to do with trials. A Saturday and Sunday  event would be much better, like it was a few years ago.

The climb over the logs was a joke, slippery logs, separated by (less than a wheelbase) smooth painted concrete on a steep hillside and then wet through. 

When the very best in the world cannot get through twice something is seriously amiss

• Like 1

Mattylad has a point, when all the world's best are fiving, there's something very wrong. So it rained...., well there's a surprise, did nobody consider this when they set up the course??? No contingency plans really? Where the organisers????

Also, I don't know what others think but I felt the coverage, from any media source, has been very poor. The FIM website, TrialGP (points to a YouTube page with no content) both rubbish. Free to air TV - in the UK&I - the best that can be done is coverage one week later. Honestly, a complete shambles, this is supposed to be the world stage not some backwater event. Contrast and compare coverage from SSDT, not a lot on TV but decent video logs and web updates to all.

Poor show, FIM needs a kick up the ar5e.