Gas for your Beta Evo

Lefebvre

Very hard to find ethanol free here in the UK.  I don't know anyone that bothers.  I try to find the lowest ethanol fuel I can on the last ride in autumn for my wife's road bike (Ducati Monster) as it sits in the tank for the winter and I have read stuff about it affecting the plastics.  My Suzuki has a steel tank and runs regular unleaded.  Both bike run regular unleaded when in use.  I doubt the accuracy of the ethanol information on UK forums so whether I am getting what I think is questionable (it is not labelled here)

My TRS likes Shell V Power which is a 99 octane fuel.  It has "up to" 5% ethanol according to the manufacturer's website.  I mix 80:1 (Putoline TT Pro) and use it for both the TRS and the Beta.  The TRS is better on that fuel but the Beta doesn't really run any different to 97 super unleaded.  The Beta pinks on regular (95) unleaded.  (I made that mistake when I first bought it).

In France the ethanol content is displayed on the pump.  So you can buy E5 or E10.  Nearly all outlets are E5.  I haven't taken the bikes for a while so I am in my diesel car when there, but hopefully we will go to Belgium to watch the trials this year.  The Suzuki will be happy on whatever goes in it!

I think the whole ethanol thing is overstated to be honest.  The early issues with plastics appear to have been sorted.  Nearly all bike tanks are plastic and all the manufacturers know that Europe is moving to E10.  My lawnmower has the cheapest, most rubbish, plastic tank imaginable (and runs on 99 octane as that is what I have in the can for the bikes).

I run Shell Ultra, I empty the hose in my pickup and fill a 20 litre can that I mix with Motul 710 also at 80 to 1. I think the Shell is the same in Ontario as here in Quebec.

Guy

11 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

We all know that Americans call petrol “gas”. So what do they call gas? You know, the stuff you cook with, or indeed any element or compound in a gaseous state.

You mean the british call gas petrol.... 

Americans call it gasoline, a name that was around before petrol and more correct, since "petrol" is actually a brand name

That being said, gasoline is also a brand name ?

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

I have switched from V-Power Unleaded to Esso Synergy Supreme+ as in my part of the UK it comes without any added ethanol.

From Essos website:-

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Like "fanny"

Yeah, this one always kills me. It's not really a common thing to say in American English, as it sounds a bit old fashioned. But knowing the British English meaning, at first I couldn't come up with a synonym in American English for 'front bottom', as it just seemed alien to refer to that part of the body as bottom. But I guess 'crotch' would be closest ;)

12 hours ago, faussy said:

You mean the british call gas petrol.... 

Americans call it gasoline, a name that was around before petrol and more correct, since "petrol" is actually a brand name

That being said, gasoline is also a brand name ?

I’ve no idea whether ‘gasoline’ is a brand name but I’m pretty sure ‘petrol’ is not. It’s an abbreviation of ‘petroleum spirit’.

On a serious note, ‘gas’ is ambiguous and a potential source of confusion. ‘Petrol’ is not.

Or on a lighter note, I just like winding up the colonials.?

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

I’ve no idea whether ‘gasoline’ is a brand name but I’m pretty sure ‘petrol’ is not. It’s an abbreviation of ‘petroleum spirit’.

On a serious note, ‘gas’ is ambiguous and a potential source of confusion. ‘Petrol’ is not.

Or on a lighter note, I just like winding up the colonials.?

Gasoline originated from Cazeline, a name generated by John Cassell an englishman who started selling it in London. The C was changed to a G to avoid violating the trademark by an irish competitor. So even the word gasoline originated in the UK.

A company called Carless sold gasoline under the tradename 'petrol' in the mid 1800s but by the time petrol took off and they thought about registering it in the 30s the name had already permeated the public vocabulary, so were denied.

Oh i hear ya, they sure do love butchering the english language ?

As far as i know outside of the commonwealth and america its referred to as motor spirit.

Edited by faussy