Wheelchair converted Doblo

owlit

Does anyone have experiece of using a wheelchair converted Fiat Doblo car.

I want to get my Fantic 200 in it.  Is the ground clearance too much reduced?, Is it much heavier and therefore less economical?

I have been looking around for a while and there seems to be a lot of low mileage examples about.

The prices seemed high for the age when I was looking, no doubt due to the conversion cost. However, I lost interest when I read reports that insurance companies loaded the premiums quite substantially for such altered vehicles. Seems like disability discrimination to me.

The Doblo was my first choice for bike transport with a 1.9L diesel but ended up with a Peugeot Partner 2L diesel, which looks to have a similar platform as the Berlingo and Doblo. With 2 of the 3 rear seats removed in the Peugeot, a trials bike goes in easy once the forks are compressed and tied to give you some head room between the bars and roof. The wheelchair model Doblo provides easy ramp access for a bike and would still need one of the two rear seats removed to get the front wheel into the footwell area. The wheelchair Doblo could be lower than the standard version, best to check that out with a dimensions spec. Looking at the photo, I don't think the lowered area is going to be a ground clearance issue. Bye, Peter B.

image.png.1bd45eb3643e096e3da752c518613354.png

Thanks again but is no-one using one with wheelchair access modification?? Or anyone know someone???? I'm beginning to wonder if it is no go because surely someone has tried it if it works!!!!!!

• 2 years later...
On 5/28/2019 at 12:02 PM, owlit said:

Thanks again but is no-one using one with wheelchair access modification?? Or anyone know someone???? I'm beginning to wonder if it is no go because surely someone has tried it if it works!!!!!!

Hey wondering if you got that doblo. I'm looking to buy one but the measures seems like its impossible, so just curious. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a wheelchair modified Doblo. It's early days but it's looking very promising. The ramp makes loading super-easy, there is oodles of headroom over the handlebars and I don't have to stoop too much when standing in it, and the bike just about fits with the ramp folded up. I thought I was going to have to modify the ramp but I tried the bike in it today and I can fold the ramp with no problem. I've removed the rear seat (it only had a single one on the left) and pushed the passenger seat forward to give a bit more room. Now I'm waiting for some eyebolts to arrive for lashing down.

Edited by trapezeartist
Typo