Oset 48v motor bearing replacement.

Hi guru's. Last weekend the motor started making a kind of grumble/snatchy noise once the motor had gotten hot. Switch it off, Have a cuppa, let it cool and all fine again. The bike is just over 18 months old and still running same bearings so I figured it was time to swap them. I have removed the Motor, pulled the sprocket off. Removed the drive side casing and then with lots of swearing and clever use of welding gloves and an inner tube, removed the housing. My problem is that now can't seem to remove the non drive side casing to access the other bearing. How do I remove this side?. I can see the brushes in place and the (stator plate?).. I can see down to the bearing, but tugging and twisting hasn't worked and I've purposely hidden my hammer. Am I missing something?. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. And also any recommendations on bearings?.

IMG_20190528_200827.jpg

the armature should just pull out of the other bearing, be careful that you dont damage the brushes if the whole bearing comes out of the housing still attached to the shaft as the bearing will hit the brushes, try just tapping the mounting ears of the end cap while holding the armature in the air.. but dont go mad with the hammer :-).

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Apologies for thread hijack.  Is there an easy way to remove the motor?  The top and rear Allen bolts I can get to, but short of removing the swing arm, I just can't get to the front lower bolt as the frame and swing arm are in the way. 

I'm don't want to remove the swing arm as drifting the axle out is likely to damage the bearings. We'll not until I have replacement bearings. 

No, but the swingarm has bushes so it's no problem, it's in halves too which have to be separated .

Pretty sure you have to remove the drive side of the swingarm to replace the "gearbox" sprocket so it's made to come apart.

When I replaced the bearings I think I only did the drive side of the motor or wished I had , I think the internal one was like new and a real pain I really can't mind.

The original motor had no seal on the drive shaft, that caused the problem 

16 hours ago, bruised but smiling said:

Apologies for thread hijack.  Is there an easy way to remove the motor?  The top and rear Allen bolts I can get to, but short of removing the swing arm, I just can't get to the front lower bolt as the frame and swing arm are in the way. 

I'm don't want to remove the swing arm as drifting the axle out is likely to damage the bearings. We'll not until I have replacement bearings. 

Is it the 24r your refering too?. There is a slight difference in swingarm assembly. I have always removed the entire rear end when removing the motor to ensure I get it lined up correctly on the 6 bolts after. The swingarm axle will fly out with a tap. Don't worry about the swingarm bearings. The way I do it is non drive side 1st. Undo all 3 main Motor bolts, the long (8mm?) Bolt going through the swingarm, and left side swingarm cap and bolt, tap the swingarm axle back to release the left side part of the swingarm and then pull the right side off with motor still attached. 

On 6/30/2019 at 10:17 AM, kingkopity said:

Is it the 24r your refering too?. There is a slight difference in swingarm assembly. I have always removed the entire rear end when removing the motor to ensure I get it lined up correctly on the 6 bolts after. The swingarm axle will fly out with a tap. Don't worry about the swingarm bearings. The way I do it is non drive side 1st. Undo all 3 main Motor bolts, the long (8mm?) Bolt going through the swingarm, and left side swingarm cap and bolt, tap the swingarm axle back to release the left side part of the swingarm and then pull the right side off with motor still attached. 

20r.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Much appreciated.  

• 2 years later...

I have the 48v motor out of my sons 2015 20 lite. But I cannot find a way of removing the drive side bearing. I can't get a puller on it due to restricted access. See photo. 

The bearing is totally shot, the back wheel of the bike can hardly turn. I figure replacing a £4 bearing has to beat a £360 motor! 

I look forward to any help you can give. 

IMG_20220523_103806.jpg