tl125s 76 correct way to re set cam chain tension.

gasserocm

hi, seems to be 2 schools of thought, one with engine running and other with timing marks on points rotor, mine has Electronic ign, do you remove top bolt and loosen bottom bolt, push down 3 or 4 times to makes sure tensioner moves and retighten or ?

thanks. 

Can be done running, but we always used to do it with engine off. remove 10mm headed bolt from tensioner, slacken the 13-14mm nut (can't remember exact size was over 30 years ago!). we used a little threaded L shaped rod through the hole where the 10mm headed bolt went and it screwed into the bottom of the tensioner and then pull up. while holding up retighten the larger nut and then remove rod, replace 10mm headed bolt and job done. Sorry I cannot remember the exact size of the rod but recall it was made from an old spoke if that helps.

Hello TL125 person in New Zealand!  Petert from Surrey is correct about the spoke trick for the newer motors such as TLR200 etc, , but as I recall from being a TL125 guy in the 70's, the adjuster is fixed directly to the tensioner arm and is a solid 8mm screw that is adjusted with a straight slot screwdriver.  Turning the screw counterclockwise tightens the cam chain, clockwise loosens.  Honda service manual was vague on procedure.  For years I just adjusted until the chain was quiet, but that was a tricky method, too easy to overtighten.  Try this instead:  adjust with motor not running.  Remove points/cam end cover.  Find TDC on compression stroke.  Remove cam adjuster caps to make sure you are on the right revolution of cam.  Remove flywheel access cap.  Adjust cam chain so slack just goes away when you rotate the crank back and forth counterclockwise and clockwise to feel what's happening at the cam.  You may have to remove the centrifugal advance and cam sprocket cover.  Have fun, it's a Honda so don't worry.