New to the sport

Spud604

Hi guys, I’m really new to the trials riding scene and looking for a bike, I’ve had loads of experience in motocross and sports bikes but I’ve always fancied the more technical side of things.  I need your opinion?  2T 4T make and engine size? 

2T 200cc. Quite rare though. Beta Evo one of the best. 250 2t  is next best option. 270, 290, 300, all way way too much for beginners. Montesa 4rt still very popular. Peerless build quality, sounds lovely, nice to ride, but a heavy old bus, no getting away from it.  

Condition is paramount. Trials riders notoriously "economical".  Probably better to go for one that has been used & maintained properly, instead of one that has been ragged relentlessly round the local practice area / farm on a daily basis.  

I've only had 4T's (Beta EVO 300 4T, Montesa 4RT260 and Montesa 300RR).  As others have said, heavier than the 2T's, but very smooth and controllable on power delivery.  If I were good enough to launch up 6' rocks, I'd be on a 2-stroke.  But for the 3' obstacles I can handle, the 4T's have been awesome.

I'd def argue against the 4RT being a 'heavy old bus'. It might weigh more than some of the newer strokers but it's still very agile. And built properly. The only pain is the oil filter change (covered elsewhere so not for here). I love mine - it starts first time once you work out it's a long push and not a kick. Also good for technical trail riding. Oh, and much less depreciation than any other modern trials bike. I suspect I'd do better on a 200 Beta but I know which bike I like best for now. Looking forward to the Montesa ET whenever that might be...

• Like 1