Sign in to follow this  
mightychub

2017 Factory 300 banging noise from engine

Hi all,

This may have been covered but here goes. I have 30 hours on the bike and everything was fine from new but once it was run in it started to bang under load from long step banks. The bike shop sent me a new CDi thinking this was the issue all was fine last week and until the later part of today the banging came back after the bike was really hot. This banging noise does not happen on the new 19 model so I am lost to why it is doing it. Has anyone got any ideas to what it could be? I had betas years ago and not had this kind of issue I have only just come back into the sport and with it banging like it is am worried it's doing damage to the bore or piston.

Edited by mightychub

Preignition/pinking?🤔 Take cylinder head off and clean combustion chamber and top of cylinder. No soot or deposits is allowed after cleaning.  Check carb settings. and clean all jets and and drillings in carb body. Check ignition setting.

/Carl

I've had water cooled Beta's since my 1991 Zero and they all at some point knocked and banged on regular 95 octane, some more than others.

Before taking anything apart, try running it on 98 or 99.

One other failure that happens is the plastic impeller in the water pump breaks. I highly recommend the high capacity metal impeller from Jitsie.

Hi everyone I have been running it on highest octane the bike has only done about 25 hours. I spoke with Acklams where I got it from and they have told me to take it back to be looked at as it should not be that bad after only 25/30 hours their mechanic said it could be a few different things so hopefully it will get sorted. And this why I buy from a great shop like Acklams their after sales service is just bang on. Thanks everyone for your suggestions  

Edited by mightychub

Just wanted to add to this post. The bike has now been looked at and it seems the new CDi that they replaced a month ago has gone so they have ordered a new one from the Beta factory so hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Thanks for letting us know. Please let us know if that fixes it. Knowledge shared is knowledge multiplied.

Hi everyone latest update as of today 25th June the shop can not fix the issue they have replaced electric stuff and the issue is still there. The bike has to go back to Lampkin imports for assessment as it is now up to them what happens. I have no idea when I will get it back. I am gutted and this is the first time I have ever had an issue with a Beta. It's going to be interesting to find out what the problem is.

It is probably a bad ground or broken wire. Going back to Lampkin`s is the best possible option for you. Good luck.