What does one think....

metisse

The recent classic  trial at Rochepaule,  France, attracted an entry of over 100 riders, the trial was held over 55 kms of interzone, and had 16 sections, 10 in the morning and 6 in the afternoon. When I mentioned at the weekend it seemed rather too little section action and not for me, I was met with a little gailic backlash. So would competitors on here,  be happy with a trial with only 16 sections, would you travel up to 200 miles for this,  or am thinking this is the slippery slope. .

Metisse

I’m new to riding in France, but they seem to be more of a social event than we have in the UK, so maybe less sections (zones) are OK. At the trial la Roche en Brenil a couple of weeks ago I was surprised that no-one was in a hurry to start - in the UK on that sort of terrain you’d have been run over in the rush to get round...

Rochepaule sounds like the sort of trial that was common in the UK 40+ years ago.

For me it would really depend on what the 55kms were like, and the entry fee, and other factors.  What I'd like from a day's trials is a little friendly competition, but also a chance to say more than two words to other people, a nice lunch, and the chance to ride through some beautiful scenery.  In the UK people often seem to like going, being super competitive, packing up their van, and going home as early as possible - I hope they're enjoying themselves, but it doesn't really appeal to me.

That's probably why at the moment I just want to go riding in the mountains, do a bit of "practice" and have a picnic :)

• Like 1

Interesting comments, not really my cup of tea for a days competition, but understand the sentiment.  Speaking to a couple of riders who where there, competing on the harder routes.  were fed up with the amount of interzone and lack of sections, but I imagine the less competitive classes might have enjoyed the ride round more than  sections.  I  have always found stopping for lunch a hinderence, however French,  civilised  it might seem.  Each to their own.

I dunno.  I just drove 2300 miles round trip from the Alabama gulf coast to ride a 10 section x 4 loop event in Michigan. Up on Saturday, event Sunday, back on Monday.  Did get to ride it and visit with my son and daughter-in-law who live up there and visit with some friends, so I thought it was worth the drive.

It is an interesting topic. We’ve just ridden in the  NSW State Twinshock Champs which was two day event in a beautiful part of the Hunter Valley and a 5 hour drive. They ran 7 yes 7 sections on day 1 with 6 laps and an enforced lunch break of 1 hour . A very neat trick was to ride the afternoon lap sections in reverse direction. Day two 5 laps five sections. Was it enough riding? Well no one complained - in fact quite the opposite....

The Arbuthnot is often 80 miles +, but only 15 sections, I'd like less miles,more sections. (Not too comfy on a rigid AJS...) But its a lovely part of the world,there are always great bikes too see and like minded nutters to chat / take the p%%s etc.

Arbuthnot.jpg

14 hours ago, paulmac said:

It is an interesting topic. We’ve just ridden in the  NSW State Twinshock Champs which was two day event in a beautiful part of the Hunter Valley and a 5 hour drive. They ran 7 yes 7 sections on day 1 with 6 laps and an enforced lunch break of 1 hour . A very neat trick was to ride the afternoon lap sections in reverse direction. Day two 5 laps five sections. Was it enough riding? Well no one complained - in fact quite the opposite....

We must be very spoilt / lucky here, I wouldn't drive 5 miles for that. 

• Like 1

Dabster, I remember us discussing the Ventoux several years back and thats only 18, three different loops  and like St Feliu although you could do a few more, it does seem enough . My point is that I really think 18 / 20 is the bare minimum.  If people accept 16, next year it maybe 14, etc.  Apparently talking to a chum here riding from the Uk 36 sections is a minimum requirement for a centre round.  My local national the Phil king is 39/40. For a national that Rochepaule is there should be at least a few more.

TreGiorni Valtellina ( 3 day international trial starting in Bormio, Italian Alps) is sadly no longer run. 

I rode it twice , 8 hour days up to 3000m at times. Undoubtedly the best location in the world for the between section going. Most of the tracks took a bit of effort, not far off easy course in the north east of England. When we went back the second time we all agreed it was as much for the ride round, also driving through the alps to get there was stunning.

It only had 20 sections a day, 4 of those were on the rocks outside the local sports centre. Some sections were really good but others were just on piles of rocks leftover from building works or road construction. 

Strange mix of people riding too, probably 40/50 doing the sections and the rest were just mountain course, they didn't do the sections. 

It was a huge effort by a very small group of people to run the event. More sections would have been better but I noticed the same people observing a couple of sections each day.

In the end it was too much effort for  the number of riders I think. The lack of Italians riding surprised me so maybe it just needed better / more sections.