Matchless indentification help

wilson882

I need a bit of help from any amc experts out there with a bike I have just bought,the story goes this machine was brought back from Zimbabwe in 2006 in large lumps in a container it was then reassembled by the owner to the state its in now.

It seems to me to have the correct trials frame but has no c in the frame number,the motor is g3c 1961 and the gearbox is marked with a t and it has a wader mag fitted.The wheels and exhaust are quite clearly wrong unless this is some strange export model what do you think?

Ian

MATCHLESS2.jpg

MATCHLESS.jpg

MATCHLESS1.jpg

It's got an alloy barrel & AMC gearbox (I think),  & you could be right about the trials frame. Lightweight swing arms were another mod. Comp models often had an alloy top yoke too. It has roadster headlight.  AMC owners club can supply dating cert which will remove all doubt. Clearly it has been "modified" by a previous owner. Shocks, mudguards & exhaust all from a later period. Quite a good starting point, especially if it runs. Pre 65 trials now in the realms of science fiction & bear no resemblance to period bikes. It will tidy up nicely if you revert  back to its original looks & will make a nice Greenlaner.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The hunt for this bikes id continues I have found 2 machines with engine numbers within 5 and six of this one so getting close,the frame number if it had one would be under the frame strengthening which brings me to my next question does any body recognise the frame work carried out (comerfords?) it looks very well done.

Thank you

Ian

IMG_7309 (2).JPG