Future of Gasgas

faussy

I do know they are really p****** off the die hard Gasser riders over here. Several guys were waiting for the new GP that never made it to the USA and with all the recent talk, are considering changing brands after decades of loyalty.

'News', whether it's reported by outlets, or passed by word of mouth, is a large part of what drives consumer confidence in companies and in the market. So I think that whether the specifics surrounding GG as relate to this discussion are accurate or not, it certainly points to a general feeling of uncertainty around the companies' future by those on the outside of things. And that drives buying choices. I bailed on GG for a few reasons, but one fact that played a part was that I couldn't even get a '19 GP in the States.

19 gps have been readily available in Europe, in fact i have one and so does a guy who works for me. The fact of the USA being such a small market yet vast distances and various changes of importer spares importer etc may well have more effect on availabilty than perceived "confidence".

Fake news is fake news.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

19 gps have been readily available in Europe, in fact i have one and so does a guy who works for me. The fact of the USA being such a small market yet vast distances and various changes of importer spares importer etc may well have more effect on availabilty than perceived "confidence".

Fake news is fake news.

Nothing has changed regarding GG's importers, etc. in the last couple years. The fact that you can get product is great for you, but a sample size of 2 isn't statistically relevant. The US got no 19 GP's: if that's GG just not bothering, that's their choice obviously. The distances involved aren't really relevant when you have established means and modes of shipping... every other trials bike manufacturer manages it, and the cost is explicitly passed on to us anyway.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 2

There's also this not fake news: https://www.elperiodico.com/es/economia/20190402/gas-gas-anuncia-recortes-en-la-planta-de-salt-por-menos-ventas-7387160

https://www.elperiodico.com/es/economia/20190508/preacuerdo-en-el-ere-de-planta-de-torrot-gas-gas-de-salt-7444459

Which is basically saying that GG filed to do a layoff based on low sales.

Oh yeah, and Busto got dumped last minute. Why I haven't a clue, but if someone asked me to guess: Fajardo is doing better and probably costs them a lot less than Busto was, and they can't or don't want to pay for two riders/teams at the moment. Even if I'm wrong, the perception is there that GG is in trouble again.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

They also pulled support from their factory enduro team. 

Ive thought for few years their enduro exploits must be very expensive, and possibly one of the main causes for their troubles. Development costs are probably higher than trials (with a bike largely unchanged since 2002 lol) yet their market share is a lot less in enduro as what they have in trials

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, heffergm said:

Nothing has changed regarding GG's importers, etc. in the last couple years. The fact that you can get product is great for you, but a sample size of 2 isn't statistically relevant. The US got no 19 GP's: if that's GG just not bothering, that's their choice obviously. The distances involved aren't really relevant when you have established means and modes of shipping... every other trials bike manufacturer manages it, and the cost is explicitly passed on to us anyway.

Gas Gas North America (GGNA) is solely owned subsidiary of Torrot. I believe it is the only Gas Gas Distributor directly owned. This has become the KTM Model for National Distributors, and Torrot decided to do it for the North America. So if Torrot is putting the brakes on... GGNA is going to feel it more directly the other independent importers.

Edited by nhuskys