Future of Gasgas

faussy

19 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Sorry but you are completely wrong.  Plants do not breathe CO2 - I learned that at school when I was 12 as part of my O level biology.  Your misunderstanding of the difference between respiration (breathing is not respiration, plants do not breathe at all) and photosynthesis is excusable to some extent, but wrong nevertheless.

Plants create CO2 just like animals and their respiration is exactly the same process.  The oxidisation of carbohydrate to create energy.  This is the basic chemical process of life.  Plants also have the ability to use sunlight to create sugar which they store in their tissues.  This sugar can be "burned" later on to create energy.  This process creates O2 which the plant excretes.  At night there is no sunlight and the process reverses.  The night time plant closes its stomata and the excreted CO2 builds up in the leaf.  In the morning the CO2 is used in photosynthesis.

Reducing the CO2 to levels below which it is available for the process would impair the plant but all plant life would not die as eventually CO2 would be replaced into the atmosphere by plant or animal respiration.  Plants can grow in a sealed glass vessel, something the Victorians did widely.  The plant does not use up the CO2 and die.

The amount of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere affect the level to which the sun's radiation is retained on earth as opposed to being returned to space.  Whilst there is some disagreement about the correlation - mostly driven by lies from the fuel industry - the scientific facts are quite unambiguous.  Human burning of fossil fuel is increasing the warming of the planet and we are now at a tipping point beyond which much of humanity is threatened by the changes.  As per my earlier comments the use of electricity as a motive power isn't going to make much odds to that.

I had hoped my earlier post would allow us to discuss the merits of electric as a motive fuel for trials and how that affects the future of one of the biggest manufacturers without the usual hyperbole and lies about climate change that seems to accompany discussion of electric powered vehicles.  This is a trials bike forum and not an environmental discussion group after all.

nailed it.

12 hours ago, overtone said:

The planet has gone through repeated cycles where temperatures were much warmer - lovely warm and temperate weather in Canada and Greenland - and much colder, with extensive glaciation, with CO2 levels that have been considerably lower and considerably higher.

Anthropogenic warming is complete nonsense, and the puppet masters have had to recast their propaganda to "climate change" (after shouting "warming" for 2-3 decades) because all the hockey stick models were so wrong, that even the dimmest of sheep would have begun to catch on.  But since climate is always changing, that is a fine synthetic enemy in the name of which we shall be fleeced in perpetuity.

CO2 is a trailing indicator, positively correlated with global temperature changes, and lagging those changes considerably.  We need CO2 to have abundant crops, and indeed more CO2 would be helpful in our current situation.

The real global-scale problem is pollution -- all the Monsanto-type poisons, the industrial and medical waste dumped into rivers, the plastics, the nuclear weapons activities.  Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY

The military-financial complex oligarchs that run the world are complete sociopaths, and yet, Al "an inconvenient partner in Goldman Sachs carbon trading exchange" Gore is a caring, humanist truth-speaker?  Give me two freaking breaks...

let me take a wild guess you like trump?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Ok, so at this point you're willfully missing the points I was trying to make - namely that reduction in CO2 output can be effected through the widescale adoption of electric vehicles, that CO2 production does have a direct effect on global warming, and that no existing vehicles need to be purposefully destroyed in order for that to happen.

You're also repeating an old and incorrect idea there about "peak oil"; there's more than enough oil on the planet for use to incinerate our entire atmosphere!

As for me, one of the largest attractions to going electric is to avoid air pollution, so just because it's not the case for you, doesn't mean it's the case for everyone - I'm riding around nature, why would I want to fill it with 2 stroke smoke?

In the next 5 years I will be converting my TY175 over to electric, and I have begun slowly saving to replace my road bike with an electric one when it expires too.

I might have missed the points but it is not wilfully.  We appear to be at cross purposes.

Widescale adoption of EV might effect a slight reduction in CO2 but I think it is overstated by people looking only at the running "cost" CO2 and missing the elephant of manufacturing.  As we agree the electric must be clean or the effect is negative.  I am against the destruction of existing vehicles due to the legacy CO2 in manufacture.

I never mentioned peak oil.  There is - I agree - enough of the stuff to kill us all and then three times as much natural gas left to do it all over again.  The peak of oil production economically is already here, hence the moronic activity of fracking.

Air pollution is the big hit for EV and the reason for the push for EV in cities.  Personally I think the miniscule output of a few trials bikes can be ignored.  I am nearly at the bottom of my 2 stroke oil so that must mean I have used about 80 litres of fuel.  That is less than a tank in the van.  I fill the van up every week.

Air pollution has moved on as per the earlier post about soot on buildings. The NOx and particulate issues are the reason for the current attack on diesel engines, combined with the breathtaking fraud by VAG and their fraudulent software fitted to millions of vehicles.  A lot of that can be overcome with existing ICE technology, for example by using gas rather than diesel.  I have a place in Montpellier in France and all the buses there run on gas.  No soot, no NOx.  Neither Livingstone nor Johnson took the opportunity to bring that in in London and the present Mayor is overlooking it as well.  Outside of London the bus system is nearer to the wild west so not much hope.

Again - I think the electric engine is the way forward for trials.  I would like very much to read about your Yam conversion as it progresses.  I too would like an electric road bike it would be ideal for the limited mileage I do and even better for the missus and those annoying Ducati timing belts that cost more than the fuel bill.  The Zero looks like a nice machine.

Bear in mind that particulate emissions also originate from tyres and this too requires some rethinking in our technology going forward.

11 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

I might have missed the points but it is not wilfully.  We appear to be at cross purposes.

Widescale adoption of EV might effect a slight reduction in CO2 but I think it is overstated by people looking only at the running "cost" CO2 and missing the elephant of manufacturing.  As we agree the electric must be clean or the effect is negative.  I am against the destruction of existing vehicles due to the legacy CO2 in manufacture.

I never mentioned peak oil.  There is - I agree - enough of the stuff to kill us all and then three times as much natural gas left to do it all over again.  The peak of oil production economically is already here, hence the moronic activity of fracking.

Air pollution is the big hit for EV and the reason for the push for EV in cities.  Personally I think the miniscule output of a few trials bikes can be ignored.  I am nearly at the bottom of my 2 stroke oil so that must mean I have used about 80 litres of fuel.  That is less than a tank in the van.  I fill the van up every week.

Air pollution has moved on as per the earlier post about soot on buildings. The NOx and particulate issues are the reason for the current attack on diesel engines, combined with the breathtaking fraud by VAG and their fraudulent software fitted to millions of vehicles.  A lot of that can be overcome with existing ICE technology, for example by using gas rather than diesel.  I have a place in Montpellier in France and all the buses there run on gas.  No soot, no NOx.  Neither Livingstone nor Johnson took the opportunity to bring that in in London and the present Mayor is overlooking it as well.  Outside of London the bus system is nearer to the wild west so not much hope.

Again - I think the electric engine is the way forward for trials.  I would like very much to read about your Yam conversion as it progresses.  I too would like an electric road bike it would be ideal for the limited mileage I do and even better for the missus and those annoying Ducati timing belts that cost more than the fuel bill.  The Zero looks like a nice machine.

Bear in mind that particulate emissions also originate from tyres and this too requires some rethinking in our technology going forward.

Replacements will be manufactured anyway, so manufacturing CO2 emissions are ongoing (and in the future may be able to increase the use of recycled materials and renewable energy ... plus if carbon credits ever take off there is the possibility for it to become at least somewhat better over all than it is now), and as I said before nobody is suggesting scrapping existing working vehicles just replacing them when they are at the end of their lives.

You brought up the concept of peak oil when you said that humans would either burn all the fuel or choose an alternative.

I do agree that petrol is cleaner than diesel, it's one of the reasons I have a (very old) petrol van, however petrol does still generate a large quantity of greenhouse and toxic gases.

I agree that electric is the way forward for trials, it just makes sense if it wants to survive as a sport in the modern world, even without taking pollution into account.

The particulate emissions from tyres isn't great, but compared to the CO2 production it's an ant to an elephant.

That video of Albert on the electric Gasser didn't excite me. The visuals are nice but if the bike could be made to sound interesting it could be appealing. I don't know why but the Yamaha e-bike had a more interesting sound

21 hours ago, lineaway said:

They need it to make some other noise than what it does. All the new large Electric`s make very annoying sounds.

Sadly I think it is a feature of electric motors that they whine like that.  I agree it is nearly as annoying as the idiots that spend all Sunday morning with a petrol strimmer.

I am sure we will get used to it in time.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, b40rt said:

At least Trump was democratically elected, unlike Boris or Hunt ....

or Brown who Boris said that it was undemocractic at the time......what goes around etc. But with trump it was close and his performance since hopefully will mean no scond term. I wont mention the russians of course.

• Thanks 1