Future of Gasgas

faussy

Would there be any reason to not buy a new GG trials bike in regards to this KTM deal? I am here in the US and am looking at a new TXT 280 and am apprehensive about GG because of potential parts availability. 
What do others think? 

I personally don't see any reason to not buy a Gasgas, even an old one. Most of my friends ride older Montesa 4RT machines and here in the USA, many Honda dealers in the area don't carry parts and don't want to work on them. Trials is not a big money maker for most dealers. The dealer I use is couple hundred miles away but gives excellent service.

Art

Don't think parts availability should deteriorate but what may happen is that not much money is spent on development of the twostrokes as the CEO is of the opinion that trials will be going electric in the nearish future. Any such lack of development won't bother the average buyer too much as they could probably go back five years in development terms and not notice the difference in their results.

I suppose you guys are right. The main thing in the way or parts needed are probably more universal anyways - Chains, sprockets, levers, pads, pegs, plugs and carb parts.... Most of that stuff is available by 3rd party manufactures.

I doubt many engine parts are needed - Hell, do many people ever even have to do a top end unless they severely neglect the bike? I can easily get 100 hours out of a off road bike top end and that is only replaced because of old school habits, even when ridden hard. 

Thanks guys! 

On 11/26/2019 at 1:40 PM, BrettD said:

Would there be any reason to not buy a new GG trials bike in regards to this KTM deal? I am here in the US and am looking at a new TXT 280 and am apprehensive about GG because of potential parts availability. 
What do others think? 

Absolutely dont hesitate.

I would buy a 250 unless you are a top expert.

All parts are available now and will generate income for ktm so wont be an issue, piston kits are out sourced anyway so youll be fine.

8 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Absolutely dont hesitate.

I would buy a 250 unless you are a top expert.

All parts are available now and will generate income for ktm so wont be an issue, piston kits are out sourced anyway so youll be fine.

I was looking for a 250 but found a deal too good to pass on for a new TXT 280 racing. 
While I am new to trials, I have ridden them before and am not too worried about it. I used to have a old Sherco 290 that was a roach but I never took it very serious. 

I am not new to general off road riding and race enduros, including a few hard enduros here in the states in the A class/expert (don't know if that helps or hurts me in trials). I would think there are ways to tame it down a little if needed - FW weight, head squish, ride in rain mode/ignition settings, jet it rich?? Those ideas work for off road bikes but I do not use them. 

On 11/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, BrettD said:

I was looking for a 250 but found a deal too good to pass on for a new TXT 280 racing. 
While I am new to trials, I have ridden them before and am not too worried about it. I used to have a old Sherco 290 that was a roach but I never took it very serious. 

I am not new to general off road riding and race enduros, including a few hard enduros here in the states in the A class/expert (don't know if that helps or hurts me in trials). I would think there are ways to tame it down a little if needed - FW weight, head squish, ride in rain mode/ignition settings, jet it rich?? Those ideas work for off road bikes but I do not use them. 

trials bikes are different, if you are riding trials avoid the "taming down a bike scenario" if you can, many have tried it rarely works.

• Like 2

Well Im going to find out how this 280 works. Picked it up yesterday! (Wife said happy 40th birthday ?

Sat in the garage with it last night balancing on it and riding tiny circles.
I want to go through it though - Winter here now and damn cold so I can't ride it outside anyways. Will drain the fuel that is in it and clean the carb out - Im sure the shop put normal crap pump gas with ethanol in it and 50:1 mixture - as its just generic fuel a shop would keep around for starting bikes. 

Any must have protection items? Seems like bar ends along with fork protectors would be smart and possibly a linkage guard/plate? I have broken linkage parts in the past on my off-road bikes and now run a plastic plate off the back of my skid plates to protect the linkage, also makes it glide over logs and rocks. Would think good spares to have would be levers, air filters, spark plugs and brake pads. Anything else? I would think due to slow speeds that brake pads would last longer than a big bike but still good things to have on hand?

59683518290__6487AB8E-3887-4BB7-A042-8107415F3AEA.JPG

• Like 1

Put some teflon thread tape under the brake and clutch lever clamps so they move freely with a fall. And check out some of the  YouTube videos on setting up your trials bike. Bar end buttons work well to protect the throttle mechanism and grips. I don't have problems using the high octane grade with ethanol and mix a top rated 2t oil as recommended in the manual.  Did just a bit of tuning with the idle mixture screw and the main and needle seem good. Have fun, sure are pretty before we put some use to them.

Art 

• Like 1

Consider a guard for the exhaust header; it can get pretty hot and will melt through pants quicker than you can imagine if you have an unfortunate get-off. I put a compression-reducer insert (from Lewissport) under the head so that it would be easier for. my son to start. It worked well but I also found that it made the power of his bike sooo smooth, almost as if it were electric. I was impressed.

Do some Google'ing for the correct way/procedure to spark your Gasser; your leg and mental health will thank you.

Looking at the picture of your bike - and she's a beauty -, is the rear brake pedal correct or bent too far out? I don't know how the pedal of new bikes are routed, but to me yours looks too exposed. Maybe it's a photo/optics effect? 

Edited by d2w
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, d2w said:

Consider a guard for the exhaust header; it can get pretty hot and will melt through pants quicker than you can imagine if you have an unfortunate get-off. [...]

Interesting idea, that makes sense. I have always considered the guard as protection of the exhaust header, not vice versa. ?

Canario

unless you are throwing it away on regular basis i would avoid bar ends, the feel of them on the throttle side is annoying and just lets dirt in anyway/ when washing water and so on.

i know the gas in the usa is different so get someone who knows to set up carb, we always go to a 3 slide.

definately go down one tooth on front sprocket, it makes 1st better in stream sections and means you can leave the clutch alone a bit more and concentrate on riding the thing.

• 3 weeks later...