Future of Gasgas

faussy

3 hours ago, breagh said:

Said this loads Trials is like a secret society, how does any unknowing member of the public discover trials other than by accident .

Only the clubs and a few well meaning dealers push the boat a bit, as for the makers nothing.

It's a wonder any bikes get sold.

Has it become a secret society due to trials riders fear losing land ? as for the bikes when the cost of a new trials bike is more than a new car it is a  wonder any  bikes get sold Like it or not trials is a very specialized sport so you really have to be interested to get into the sport  if your that interested youll find it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, on it said:

Has it become a secret society due to trials riders fear losing land ? as for the bikes when the cost of a new trials bike is more than a new car it is a  wonder any  bikes get sold Like it or not trials is a very specialized sport so you really have to be interested to get into the sport  if your that interested youll find it

Must be a cheap car.  A new bike is 6-8k and a new car is 20+  I would rather have a Gas Gas than a Dacia Sandero.

• Haha 1

My understanding of this, and I stand to be corrected, is that Torrot (who have their major interest in scooters and electric) have closed the Girona factory and vamoosed to another plant in Cadiz in southern Spain, taking with them the electric trials bike technology that GasGas had been developing under Torrot ownership. Torrot see no future in 2T or even petrol technology.

This has left the traditional petrol bike facility looking for a new owner or backing (again). Given that sales numbers (for trials) are relatively tiny and rely on the enduro and other bike sales to make operations viable, it might be difficult to find such backing?

ETA There's news to be seen on "GasGas news" on Google.

Edited by heavydabber
Extra bit

I sure hope Gas Gas survives this recent news, and is successful with their restructuring plan, so they can keep producing the bikes we like and want.

Sadly electric vehicles are coming and we need to change from fossil fuels sooner than later. We as consumers need to embrace the change as it's coming wether we want it to change or not.

There is so much rubbish circulating about electric vehicles it is perhaps worth looking at the subject a little.  Firstly they are not green and they are not beneficial to the cause of CO2 reduction in any measure.  The big push for EV comes from the need to reduce NOx and other air pollutants in cities.  Diesel produces particulates (soot) and the older and dirtier diesels are the main issue, newer vehicles have DFP which can nearly eliminate PM problems.  Illegal removal of filters is another problem that should be easy to stop but has had little action thus far.  For bikes and scooters the EV can be a good improvement as the motor requires little if any maintenance and is more reliable that most small petrol engines.

Trials bikes are an insignificant part of any consideration as they are not out there in any volume and generally use very little fuel.  Small motorcycles for commuting are "green" as they reduce congestion and are a very efficient way to move a human cargo.  I would imagine a lot of commuters would love an electric bike rather than a small petrol bike as it requires much less servicing and is much better suited to the stop-start pattern of city commuting.  Electric sports bikes have similar benefits and most sport bike riders tend to ride a low overall distance per year.  A big tourer with hard luggage is probably still best suited to an ICE for the same reasons many car owners prefer ICE - long runs.

Personally I like the idea of the electric trials bike (the ones with a clutch anyway).  No issues with dirty fuel, air filters or carburettors.  Power and performance are unaffected by the angle of the vehicle.  Much less routine maintenance as well.  It's just the price that puts me off buying one.  When they are in the second-hand market I will be looking for one.  No more smelly petrol cans in the van and no more mixing two stroke.  All good stuff in my opinion.

The global fight against fossil CO2 is critically important and we must do what we can to reduce CO2 to zero and possibly even begin to artificially remove CO2 if we want to survive as a species.  Buying an EV isn't really moving in that direction and the mandating of EV seems to me to be a pointless step.  Biofuels are very low carbon and work with current ICE technology.  The "installed base" of ICE is huge and scrapping it for EV is not practical.  If developed countries ban ICE the old vehicles will end up in less developed countries and carry on spewing out CO2 until they wear out.  The planet is not concerned whether the CO2 comes from the US or the Central African Republic, it all has the same effect.

It's also important to remember that a lot of the world's electricity is still generated with fossil fuels.  An EV just moves where the pollution occurs.  The CO2 from a coal fired power station warms up the planet just like the CO2 from my TRS.  I do like the smell of two stroke though - if I am honest.  I'd still like the electric trials bike if I could afford it.  Then drive to the trial in my diesel van ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...