Picking a new bike ..

aevans692

Hi all...   

So , I have decide to buy a new bike ( new used bike )  , returning to trials after 20+ years ..   I looked into this about a year ago, but life was put on hold due to ill relative, but am now ready ..  

Years ago, I had a sherco 290 , which was my first and only trials bike , I then used a club bike on a event day last year , and then recently I had a day out on a montesa 4 stroke and a TRS RR ..  Last year I nearly bought a ossa as they looked good .. 

So, as it happens I decided against the ossa after reading they went bust , I have also ruled out Gas Gas ... ,I hadn't really heard much about TRS as they wasn't around when I was riding before , I was thinking along the lines of either a Beta , or sherco , mainly because they have been around for a long time and produce more than one bike, and seemed the safest bet ..   But today I had ago on a TRS , and tho I hadn't ridden really in years I was quite impressed and really enjoyed myself.. 

now I hadn't really thought about TRS but they seem good , tho a little dubious as they are such a new production ...  Have any of you had much experience with them , also is there anything to avoid with the sherco or beta ..  ?   I thought about getting a 300 as bigger is better right.. ? but then Its been advised that the 250 is the best compromise ? i guess its what you do with it what counts ..lol..    recommendations ..?  

would be nice to get some recommendations  and advice , dont want to go too old maybe 2015 on ...  if you were buying a bike what would you get ..?  

cheers  . andy  ..  

I am probably biased, but have had a 2017 TRRS and absolutely no problems. Build quality good. TRRS and standard one are different bikes. TRRS is definitely faster engine, but better suspension. Ridden most other makes and in my opinion, TRS are the best current trials bike. Plus they actually sound like a trials bike should!!

from what I read on the web site , was that in three years they had a turn over of 6.000.000 eu , went into production end of 2015,  all the bikes are realistically still first generation  ...  its prob just me but buying into something so young just a bit of a concern, and if they are likely to be around long term or not ..

As for engine sizes , is there much between a 250 and 300 ?    

TRS is a cross between a Gas Gas and a Beta they are very popular I have had a go on one and they are very soft bike so maybe very good for someone returning to the sport. I have been off trials for about 20 years I bought a Beta Factory bike and I love it very nice power delivery but loads there if you want it and they are so reliable too. Try and get a test ride on the ones you are intrested in if you can before you buy one go down to your local practice ground someone will always let you try their bike. 

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

why have you ruled out GG they are identicle to trs in many ways, more around better value for money 2nd hand?

I decided against gas gas because as a company they seem to be unsettled..   as a bike I’m sure they are ok ... 

Don't go for anything over 250 unless you are a good centre rider. They can catch out mr average. Beta 2t most popular selling bike by a noticeable margin. Lots of good used ones out there.  Most 250 2ts are all very capable bikes, & its all about condition. G-G still very popular but production halted a  couple of years ago,  & they rose again from the ashes. Rumours abound as to their current state of affairs. I have access to a few different bikes & ride a 250 TRS Raga regularly. Top build quality, all the bling is standard kit, top suspension, & lovely to ride. Most noticeable is that can get up things which I struggle with on other bikes.  

this is good to hear about the TRS ..   

I seem to see a fair few beta 300's on ebay , but not as many 250's ..   I chatted with a guy today and we were talking about the TRs , I mentioned about 250's and 300 , and what he said was that the 250 is more twitchy than the 300 , tho the 300 has more power the power delivery is smoother ..  ? he also said that TRS are atm hands down the best bikes out there ..  , im sure this is subject to opinion ...   

can anyone confirm any of this ..  ? 

Im returning to trials so atm I'm not great at anything ..lol..  but give me few months and I'll be bk in full swing lol.. ;)   

so after a few days thinking things over , watching videos, reading reviews and talking to a few shops ... it been said that the TRS is prob the best bike out there atm, Not so sure about this but that's what im told lol... ..  and tbh Im leaning towards buying one, not brand new but a good used RR one should do ..  after all I spent a day on one .. :)  

Will continue to have a think over the next day or so ..   

Here's the deal in my domain, most buy a Scorpa because the dealer bends over backwards to help the riders.

I'm not saying for a minute there better than anything else but if you need something or some help it's there .

Depends what you value, a bike that is a bit more suited to your style or great backup.

Also our local TRS dealer is a great guy too . 

I have had everything apart from the scorpa and montesa.  I spent 7.5k on a new TRS this year after trying most everything else which clearly shows where I wanted to put my hard earned.  Factory Beta a great bike too!  Everyone's position is different and opinions vary, all modern bikes are good.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 6:00 PM, aevans692 said:

...   I chatted with a guy today and we were talking about the TRs , I mentioned about 250's and 300 , and what he said was that the 250 is more twitchy than the 300 , tho the 300 has more power the power delivery is smoother ..  ? he also said that TRS are atm hands down the best bikes out there ..  , im sure this is subject to opinion ...   

can anyone confirm any of this ..  ?

A guy in our club had the 250 One.  I rather liked it and thought I would get one but they seem to sell about 3 minutes after they come on the market.  I needed a bike as the missus now hogs the Beta all the time.  The 280 doesn't sell so well and I bought one simply because it was available (the dealer had three in stock).  Several people have subsequently said to me the 280 is "better" than the 250 and smoother.  I have no idea if this is true, however I can say as a very new rider that the 280 is OK and I am now getting reasonable with it.  It has the fast throttle and is the RR with the Keihin carb but the diaphragm clutch is nice and you can lift the front wheel so easily that no fork compression is required.  The power makes it easy to climb without the need to have a big handful of throttle and slip the clutch.  It has taken me several weeks of practice just to get the hang of the bike and it is still a bit intimidating but I shall not be changing the spec to make up for my lack of skill, just practising more to bring my skill more to where the bike is.

The man who had the 250 had a 300 previously and sold it as he found it too much.  He has gone Beta now  and loves it (250 factory)