Toni Bou finishes clean but has a 5!

Sventhvg

To be fair to the trained observers, you cannot see his foot on the ground. Everyone knew it happened. It`s like knowing a rider screwed up by the words rolling off his tongue, but you have to see it. There was no five as the bike was airborne. Now seconds later he stopped more than just a moment. That should have been a 5.

• Like 1

The section chief observer is just above above Toni when he goes over the rock and dabs, but he is fiddling with the ribbon, and not fully focused on Toni. It seems like he should see his foot on the ground. As said many times before.... if the observer doesn't see it, it doesn't exist!

I watched Fuji's ride through that section.... The Chief Observer isn't fiddling with the ribbon, he's grabbing on to the stake for dear life, so he doesn't slide down the hill!  Still he's clearly more focused on grabbing the stake, than watching Toni.

Edited by nhuskys

5 hours ago, lineaway said:

[...]There was no five as the bike was airborne. [...]

FIM Trial regulations 2019. Definition of failure (5):

One of the wheels of the motorcycle rides above or on the wrong side of a marker.

The trace of a wheel crosses the fictitious line of a gate of any other class, whatever the direction.

We have the same national regulation here in Germany:

One can imagine a marker as a virtual endless vertical line from and above the marker.

Canario

Edited by Canario
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also remember that the standard rules in Japan are not the same as FIM and there is a good chance that even if they got FIM training the habit would be to score with at least an edge of typical Japanese scoring.  And they wouldn't even be doing it on purpose.  

It can be that they are, for want of a better word, afraid to give them the 5 or even the 1.  If you watch some of the footage from this years SSDT there were definitely 5's for the top riders and yet the score card failed to show them.

The observers at even a club trial can be swayed into not giving the correct scores as they have, at least once, had a rider if not questioning then down right abusing them for giving them a well deserved 5.  I have been on the observer end of these "conversations" and after a row with the rider who threatened me, have come close to putting the board down and going home.

I had to explain to one rider that going backwards even for 1 inch is a failure.  He even said to me "I only went backwards a little bit"!

Edited by rcgods
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rcgods said:

The observers at even a club trial can be swayed into not giving the correct scores as they have, at least once, had a rider if not questioning then down right abusing them for giving them a well deserved 5.  I have been on the observer end of these "conversations" and after a row with the rider who threatened me, have come close to putting the board down and going home.

Make a note on the sheet next to the riders number, then inform the C-of-C or anyone running the trial! 

• Like 1

Its so obviously a 1 nevermind a 5 its painful! Where's the COC or officials or FIM delegate that follows all the good riders around?! Surely they should intervene here and overrule or perhaps tell the observer what he missed.

Skip to 15.50 in the vid below to see another pretty obvious 5, but gets away with another clean. Yes its great riding, but he's goes back at least a foot

Edited by faussy

People miss things. Oh well. So he finishes the day on 5 and only cleans everybody elses clock by 15 instead of 20. As for stops, Japan is always lenient: you kind of have to be when the majority of the sections are literally impossible to ride no stop (although on day one everyone got surprised in one section where the chief actually decided to call a ton of stops).

Edited by heffergm

48 minutes ago, heffergm said:

People miss things. Oh well. 

This is a world championship! Theres 3 observers within 20 yards. I don't get away with as much in a full season of riding local summer trials!!

• Haha 3