NOISE!

dan williams

Today I learned the importance of loctite. Since we have a month long layoff for events in July I was going to tear into my shifter mods and check for wear and whatnot after tomorrow’s trial. Well trail riding with my wife and a friend today the EVO started making an ugly sound. Just disassembled the primary drive to find the cam screw backed out and was hitting the rivets on the back of the clutch basket. The good thing is it’s an easy fix. Also the custom indexer still looks great. Bearing is tight. Phew! Lucked out this time. 

This is why I don’t offer anybody these parts until I’ve run them in for a while. Never know what you’re gonna learn until it happens. (But yeah I’m an idiot for not using loctite)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/22/2019 at 8:17 PM, dan williams said:

Today I learned the importance of loctite. Since we have a month long layoff for events in July I was going to tear into my shifter mods and check for wear and whatnot after tomorrow’s trial. Well trail riding with my wife and a friend today the EVO started making an ugly sound. Just disassembled the primary drive to find the cam screw backed out and was hitting the rivets on the back of the clutch basket. The good thing is it’s an easy fix. Also the custom indexer still looks great. Bearing is tight. Phew! Lucked out this time. 

This is why I don’t offer anybody these parts until I’ve run them in for a while. Never know what you’re gonna learn until it happens. (But yeah I’m an idiot for not using loctite)

Kudos for sharing Dan.  That's what us old guys are supposed to do, share our stories of stupidity with the world, so the you guns feel better about their own mistakes.  "Do as I say, not as I do!" and "Don't be an idiot!" remain pearls of timeless wisdom!

As the old story goes:  

Young guy: How does one make good decisions?  

Old guy:  By getting experience.

Young guy:  How does one get experience?

Old guy:  By making bad decisions!

It's not the money that hurts from bad decisions. It's the time and effort to correct the damage from the bad decisions. I guess you could say that's the real valuable experience. A bad decision itself is merely an opportunity. Otherwise you just keep making the same bad decisions over and over. I've noticed those that don't have to clean up their own mistakes don't really learn anything. :o 

But it's a new world and everybody gets a trophy and somebody else will fix it. 

If you're looking for me I'll be in my safe space. :) 

22 hours ago, dan williams said:

It's not the money that hurts from bad decisions. It's the time and effort to correct the damage from the bad decisions. I guess you could say that's the real valuable experience. A bad decision itself is merely an opportunity. Otherwise you just keep making the same bad decisions over and over. I've noticed those that don't have to clean up their own mistakes don't really learn anything. :o 

But it's a new world and everybody gets a trophy and somebody else will fix it. 

If you're looking for me I'll be in my safe space. :) 

Dan,

I, for one, appreciate your time and effort addressing this issue.  IMO, tinkering with bikes and making incremental improvements are half the fun of motorcycling in general.  You've shown some great thinking during this ordeal.  Pat yourself on the back for having the guts to experiment.

Regarding mistakes, amen that those who do not feel the pain of fixing mistakes usually seem to miss the most valuable part of the experience, the lesson.  In my younger days, I used to think the those who did not do it perfectly the first time were stupid.  Easy to think that from the sidelines.  Now older, I know that 90% of engineering success is incremental and iterative.  Never bet against the person willing to take chances and make mistakes.  In the long run, that's the person you want on your team.

If I knew the address of your safe space, I'd send you a puppy and some cotton candy.  ?  Hopefully, when you are done licking your wounds, you'll get back on that pony and show em who the boss is!!!!! 

Edited by Sir Real Ed